szicree

Well Known Member
I just got a used transponder and tray and have absolutley no idea how these things mount. Anyone have a good source for this type of info?

Steve Zicree

Generally, you stack up all the trays, space them as needed, and fasten them together with AL angle on each side. The angles are them attached to the panel. A diagonal brace is used to support the stack, running from the front top to the rear aft on each side.

Roberta

If you can get the installation manuals it's easy

Every piece of avionics is similar and yet the details are different. Without the details there is no way you can hook it up properly. The basic interface requirements are power (+12V and Ground Return), Altitude Encoder (separate unit) and antenna. If you enter your unit identification (complete with manufacturer's name) in a Google search you should be able to get a source for the installation manual. Perhaps someone on this website can give you one but simply saying "transponder" is not enough. In addition to the tray you are going to need the antenna (small spike), encoder, circuit breakers, proper wires (including a coax for the antenna) and connectors. Once you get the installation manual you should be able to work your way through it.

Bob Axsom

Actually I was just trying to find info on the mounting in the panel. But now that you mention it, if anyone knows a good cheap source for an installation manual please advise. Thanks Roberta for the mounting explanation. I'm assuming .063 angle is the right stuff. Did you flush rivet it to the panel or use screws?

Steve Zicree

Avionics stack

Heres how I did my radio stack.
stack106au.jpg
stack2184hc.jpg

The front angles are flush screwed to the instrument panel.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

I used black brass round head philips screws. Remember to minimize the steel used in you panels. It affects your compass.

Rick's photo is really nice. Shows exactly how to do it.

Roberta