ron sterba

Well Known Member
Just receivedmy completed registration for my ELT 406 in USA. Does my Dynon transponder need to be registered with the FAA??,,,,Does the transponder need have any airworthiness paper?, Also I have a official N number. Also if I travel to Canada to I need to register my ELT with the aye group! If I fly in Canada do. I need 12" aircraft numbers.

Thanks
Ron in Oregon

Just receivedmy completed registration for my ELT 406 in USA. Does my Dynon transponder need to be registered with the FAA??,,,,Does the transponder need have any airworthiness paper?, Also I have a official N number. Also if I travel to Canada to I need to register my ELT with the aye group! If I fly in Canada do. I need 12" aircraft numbers.

Thanks
Ron in Oregon

1. Registered, no. But all mode S transponders need to be programmed with their FAA mode S code (found on FAA web site).
2. Transponder must have and pass biennial (2 year) checks, documented in a/c maintenance records
3. Not sure, but I think your ELT is okay in Canada
4. Cross any foreign border, you need 12" N numbers. Tape is okay if done to spec.

Your foreign registered ELT will be just fine with your foreign registered aircraft. 12" ident not required/enforced for your northern border. You should register your aircraft with US customs and receive/apply their sticker to the aircraft before you leave the country.

Bevan

Last edited:
Having recently completed this, to be legal entering controlled airspace, your transponder has to be certified and then re-certified every two years. I just had this done by Walt Aronow at EXP aircraft services in Roanoke, Tx. Not sure how you can get in trouble by not doing this other than having an incident with ATC and not producing proof that it has been done. Walt made an entry in my aircraft logbook.

Thanks Guy, Sorry late getting back on here. It was vacation time! I just received my confirmation yesterday from NOAA for the USA but now I am going to get the Canadian form filled out too! Transponder,,, well I'll put the feelers out on this one for a shop near by. Thanks guys much appreciated as always

Ron in Oregon

When you register your aircraft N-number, there is a unique Hexadecimal code assigned for your Mode-S transponder that you need to program into your unit. On the Skyview system, you just put this into a configuration menu.

I'm thinking a radio operators license is required for a trip to Canada as well.

Strictly speaking a radio operators license for the pilot, and a radio station license for the airpane. $65 and $160, respectively, to the FCC. I have never heard of these being checked, but ymmv.