tomcostanza

Well Known Member
Did any of you who had transition training, get your training in a model other than the one you were building? Did your insurance company raise an eyebrow? I'm building a 7A, and see highly recommended instructors with 6A and 7 tail dragger models.

Thanks.

I did transition training in a -7 but built a -9. My insurance was satisfied, but I think it is wise to do your training in the same model. It's really all about you being comfortable in your plane when you first fly.

check with carrier

Any broker or company will tell you what they want. I believe if you train in an A model any A model is ok , same for tail dragger.

Tom,
My underwriter started out asking for "CFI/make and model". With no tailwheel -8 trainers available the request became "CFI/any tailwheel RV" and eventually "go fly with somebody in any tailwheel RV".

Tom,

Nobody did (maybe still nobody does) training in a 9A so I did a few hours in a 6A, and then flew with a buddy in his 9A for a few hours as well. First flight was a non-event, from the point of feeling ready and well-trained. And my insurance asked for 5 hours (IIRC) in an A model.

greg

JAN BUSSELL

Use Jan Bussell in his 6A. Jan has a very good understanding of the differences between models and can demonstrate the differences. I got a lot out of his training just two weeks ago. My insurance provider (Global) has accepted his 5 hours of training.

I was a bit nervous about my initial flight in my 9A. Almost all my hours were in a Husky and had not flown a nosewheel plane in 20 years. I did transition training with Alex DeDominicus in his 10. I must say, that is a good platform for getting ready for a 9A. Other than being bigger, the 10 handled and landed just like a 9A. I do think it's important to train in a similar landing gear configuration.

I did my transition training in a Skylark light sport:eek: with 2 Hours dual. Had 30 hours in it before I flew our 9A.
AVEMCO first wanted us to train with Mike S. Trina told them to get over it we wern't going to do it. They then said they wanted 2 hours with 1 dual. Then read the they said that the hull insurance didn't cover the first 10 hours anyway. Atg which point she asked why in the world would we pay for it if we didn't get the coverage for the first 10 hours, when an accident was most likely. We switched to EAA Falcon and they wanted 5 in make and model. By that time I had 50 hours.

The interesting thing after reading our policy from Falcon, it covers us in other people aircraft as long as we don't fly them on a reagular basis.

Being a low time guy (~80 hours/20 tailwheel) I had to do 10 hours to make the insurance happy. I did that with Kent Gorton in his RV6 (great training by the way), then he sat in the back of my RV4 (full controls) for my first flight. I didn't find the change to centerline seating and controls to be any problem at all. Half and hour in the 4 and I was on my own. Put another 25 hours on the 4 in the last few weeks and it has been great.

Dan