Badia358

This may be the wrong place to post this, but I am looking for a CFI with an RV-6A or RV-7A for some transition training in the Raleigh/Durham area. Thank you

If you go to <eaa.org> and search "LODA" you will get a list of people who hold a waiver allowing them to give training for hire in an E-AB, listed by state and then by aircraft type.

Not sure how up to date this list is.

BTW, the LODA is only needed if they are going to charge you for the use of their E-AB. If you can find someone who will lend you their RV, then you can pay for the instructor and not the plane.

You might want to check with your EAA chapter, they might know of someone who can help you out.

BTW, the LODA is only needed if they are going to charge you for the use of their E-AB. If you can find someone who will lend you their RV, then you can pay for the instructor and not the plane.

You might want to check with your EAA chapter, they might know of someone who can help you out.

This is true. It is also true that, under typical circumstances, you would be flying uninsured, as the owners' insurance won't cover you if you are not a named insured.

Edit: could be true of LODA holders, too. Best to ask about their insurance coverage.

Last edited:
This is true. It is also true that, under typical circumstances, you would be flying uninsured, as the owners' insurance won't cover you if you are not a named insured.

Edit: could be true of LODA holders, too. Best to ask about their insurance coverage.

It is a mixed bag. When I flew with a friend to get the three hours my insurance required, I was in the right seat and my friend wasn't a CFI. This worked because the insurance company didn't stipulate I needed dual, only three hours in any side-by-side RV. My friend never touched the controls in the 3.5 we flew together but did coach me through my first couple of landings.

In the event something would have happened, it would have been on his insurance company. No different than if I let a friend fly my plane from the right seat.

In the event something would have happened, it would have been on his insurance company. No different than if I let a friend fly my plane from the right seat.

This is one of those things where you never quite know what the insurance company will do until you're in court. My policy says, "who can pilot this aircraft?" and then it says "only me". I'll bet that if the insurance company found out that my friend in the right seat was the one manipulating the controls during a landing accident, they would try to deny coverage. In point of fact, I do hold a cfi certificate, and a LODA, and my insurance company explicitly told me my policy did not cover dual instruction.

Last edited:
Cfi

If stii looking for a cfi call Brandon NeSmith from Table Rock Aviation. He is in the hickory.morganton area. Good with e-ab and rv,s. Pm me if you want his #

This is one of those things where you never quite know what the insurance company will do until you're in court. My policy says, "who can pilot this aircraft?" and then it says "only me". I'll bet that if the insurance company found out that my friend in the right seat was the one manipulating the controls during a landing accident, they would try to deny coverage. In point of fact, I do hold a cfi certificate, and a LODA, and my insurance company explicitly told me my policy did not cover dual instruction.

My experience is the same as Bob's. I have had this discussion with my insurance company. I have a LODA and a CFI, and unless I pay the insurance company for the privilege of giving dual in my airplane, I will definitely NOT be covered while giving dual instruction. Without the "dual instruction" policy rider, I am the only one allowed to fly my airplane, per the insurance policy.