SteveHRV7

I am completing an RV7a in the Lansing, MI area and need 5 hours of transition training in a 6a, 7a or 9a. If there are there any CFIs who might be able to help me out please give me a call. Thanks!
Steve Houghton
517-290-7528

Transition training

Steve, I too will be needing it this time next year. I am in the Grand Rapids area and I know of several others who will need it as well.

Interested in what you find out.

Steve:
Just picked up your e-mail on training this morning. While I'd certainly like to help you out, I don't have (nor do I know of any mid-west instructors in possession of) a Letter of Deviation from the FAA. Such a letter is required if we are to use our experimental aircraft for transition training. Bottom line, I can offer training in your aircraft (or one "loaned" to you by another individual), but I can't charge you for use of an experimental - that's considered a commercial endeavor. At the same time, we can't get around this restriction by charging an artificially higher rate for our instruction services, nor can we accept "gifts" in lieu of aircraft usage. The FAA would consider that a transparent attempt to circumvent the regulations.
There's been some discussion on this topic lately on these forums, but it seems the FAA has "temporarily" suspended issuance of LODAs, even while the accident rates of new experimentals continue to outpace the general aviation population.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Steve, I too will be needing it this time next year. I am in the Grand Rapids area and I know of several others who will need it as well.

Interested in what you find out.

I can help any -9 guys. There aren't many around, but I will do it pro rata.

Tony, did you manage to get an LODA? Inquiring minds would like to know!;)

No, not yet. I am trying, but the 4 FAA inspectors I have talked to have each given me a different reason why they can't issue one. For the time being I am going to continue to do transition training pro rata in -9's only.

Do you mean pro bono? As in free?

That Latin stuff can be confusing... :D

No, not yet. I am trying, but the 4 FAA inspectors I have talked to have each given me a different reason why they can't issue one. For the time being I am going to continue to do transition training pro rata in -9's only.