MPB

Anyone know of somebody that could do transition training in the Central CA area? I have completed an RV4 and my insurance is requiring an hour of dual instruction in an RV6 or RV7 before I can fly. Insurance is also requiring it to be with a CFI although I may be able to persuade them to allow a competent RV pilot. I know of Mike Seager, but Northern Oregon is a long ways from Monterey for just an hour of instruction.

Mike
RV4

EAA has a state by state list of owners who hold a waiver, allowing them to rent their EAB for this purpose. Search "LODA". I do not know how current it is.

Mike,
Just trying to understand your insurance requirements. Did they say you must have transition training by an approved CFI (LODA holder)? Or did they say you need dual instruction (non LODA holder)?

My dad and I did transition training with Alex in Texas not because it was required but because that?s what we wanted to do. If the insurance is requesting X# of dual hours on RVs by a CFI (non LODA holder), you don't have to find an approved transition trainer (LODA holder).

Once you figure that out, I can post on our SoCal RV forum for a poc. Or better yet, you can join us. mailto:[email protected]

Axel,

The LODA belongs to the owner/operator of the airplane, who may or may not be a cfi. It is a waiver of the "not used for compensation" rule. If you can find someone who will let you borrow his plane for no charge or compensation, then no LODA is needed. e.g., no LodA is needed when you pay for instruction in your own aircraft.
Be careful, if you borrow an airplane for this purpose the insurance policy is almost certainly not valid, no coverage if anything goes wrong.

The requirement was for one hour of dual instruction with a cfi. I may be able to push back on the cfi part, but not sure. I may just have to go up to Oregon and get it done. No one was listed on eaa's loda site for ca.
Thanks
Mike
RV4

I'd definitley suggest signing up for the SOCAL Yahoo group that Axel references - I've seen your question answered several times there in the past year, and many of those folks don't frequent VAF.

Thanks All.
I will join the SOCAL list and raise the question there. Maybe I will get lucky.