Stalldog

Well Known Member
Curious. What % of your flying do you attribute to each of these? Also, other than the biannual flight review, how often do you fly with a CFI?

Don't do just "flying around"

If you change the categories I can give you precise numbers. I never "just fly around" but if you changed the category to "non-cross country and non-training flying" or "all other flying" I can you precise numbers.

Currently (2012)

Training flying (I seek that like I seek driver training in my car/truck) = 0
Cross country = 31.8
Other (mod testing) = 18.7
Flying with a CFI (see above) = 0

Bob Axsom

Thanks, Bob. What do you consider non-cross country and non-training? Your breakdown is probably better than mine, and obviously a lot more accurate.

Just 'Other flying" works for me but...

It really depends on the data you are looking for? Do you want the number to cover 100% of the flying. I'm sure my flying is not normal since I don't travel for pleasure anymore. Any time I go up it is to test an experimental modification, go to a race or fly in a race. I don't know what flying others do.

Bob Axsom

Yeah, you're right, Bob, I'm not really looking for racing activities, just what I would consider recreational flying. Just wondering how much effort most folk put into staying current, training, etc. versus taking trips, flying around to look at blue sky and clouds, or maybe like your other category, mod testing.

So far I have a 25/25/50 split for dual/x-country/other.

One caveat is that when I bought my plane I needed to get a t/w endorsement and also an IPC, so my numbers so far are skewed higher on dual, and lower on XC. My dual numbers won't be that high in the future.

A lot of my "other" time involves additional exploration of the GPS and autopilot functions, as well as trying to improve my precision in flying and landing. I think I'm about 90% on what I can learn about those two devices though. I expect my x-country portion to go up this year to over 50%.

My guess at the future is 5/55/40. I like to fly with CFI at least once a year. Of all the things we spend money on in aviation, I think CFIs are the biggest bargain. I plan to to schedule some time this summer to work on my wheel landings, plus a little night refresher too.

Mile High, I'm no where near having one ready to fly yet, but when you use a CFI, do you take your plane? Any problems finding a CFI checked out in an RV?

The CFI doesn't need to be "Checked out"

Hi Jim,
If you're a licensed pilot and taking a BFR, since you're the PIC, the CFI doesn't need to be RV qualified.

I recently renewed my CFI and the examiner isn't RV-10 checked out.

He did, however, put me under the hood..(foggles) and did some whoop-de-doops that I had to recover from. It doesn't take any particular airplane checkout to do these maneuvers in an airplane that you've never flown before.

As to your earlier question, it depends who's answering...a CFI or private pilot?

As a CFI, I give local flight instruction occasionally...my preference is cross-country by far...I spray daily, locally, so that doesn't light my fuse, since I have 42 years here and have seen all that there is to see locally by means of my work.

Best,

You also don't need to have a CFI with you to be training. As long as you're current and legal, there's no reason you can't just have a more "senior" pilot along to watch what you do and make suggestions. Someone you respect is all it takes.

As Pierre said, the CFIs don't need to be checked out in a RV, and I know of 3 CFIs near me that will fly with me.

It is good to have a list of CFIs. Two of the ones I've worked with are in their 70s, so I keep in mind that I need to continually cultivate those contacts.

I always use my plane, although I did fly one lesson in a rented 172XP. My plane failed the mag check and I didn't want to stiff the CFI. He had already driven in for the scheduled lesson. The GNS430 in the 172XP was nice, but the flying was sort of like jumping off a thoroughbred and onto a Holstein.

Relic aka John

...I put 210 hrs. on my RV-9 last year, 170 on local $100 hamburgers (80 miles or less). 30 on cross country, usually 500 miles or so, about 10 with CFI on technical updates, with our complex air space and bi-annual. Allan...:D

CFI option

Interesting, Pierre, I wonder how many RV qualified CFI's are out there. Thanks for the good info.

Jim- If you need a CFI in your general area who is comfortable in RVs, I'd be happy to help you. I'm about an hour away from you in my -4. That being said, there are probably others that would qualify who are in the KC area.