I built the brake that Vans recommends and bent the trailing edge of the rudder. I'm unable to bend any further because the brake is closed to the point where the stiffeners are touching the other side. It appears I got a decent radius, but the skin is still approx 1" above the spar without clecos installed. I'm not sure how to bend the edge any further given the stiffeners are touching the other side. Any comments or suggestions on the current bend and how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. We are first time builders and don't want to plow forward if something is obviously wrong.:confused:

Thanks!

2h83djp.jpg

295d1rd.jpg

s1i635.jpg

14izx9k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used my hand seamers to close the skins the last inch. Be careful, it doesn't take much pressure to make the skins move, and if you use too much pressure you'll leave dents in the skin at the end of the seamers. I put my seamer on the bend where the angle matched up about right, gave it a slight squeeze, then moved my seamers down the trailing edge about half the width of the seamers so I had overlap, and repeated the process all the way down the trailing edge. Once I reached the other end, I checked the distance between the leading edges against the spar. I think I did this process two or three times to close the gap. Just be patient and it will turn out fine.

Eric & George,
This proved to be a pretty descent option for bending the trailing edges. Two pieces of angle iron padded with a couple strips of masking tape. You can use this method from start to finish, or just to put the final touch on the edge after the rudder/elevator's are assembled.
P1020510_zpse03cb970.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Notice the small nails in the leading edge rivet holes to prevent the skin from creeping forward. Worked well for me.
P1020511_zps1726e456.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Then just work it down with C-Clamps. I also screwed down the bottom angle iron to the bench with sheetrock screws countersunk flush.
P1020512_zps49e4090a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
You can use the safety dowel so you don't go too far. I forgot the diameter used, but got the info. on all the specs here on the site.
P1020513_zpsc4798743.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
One of the things I learned on my tail kit was to shave down the control surface stiffeners at the trailing ends just about all the way down to nothing, which will allow you to bend the trailing edge down to a nice tight edge w/o bumping up against them.
Like I said, no credit to me, I learned all this stuff somewhere here on this site.
Good Luck
Tom