fdarby

Hi Folks,

The question is do I have a problem and if so how do I fix it? I had a clecos in every hole in preparation for riveting. The ruder looks fine from every side including looking straight on from the back, but if you lay it on its forward edge and sight down the trailing edge. There is a bow in the trailing edge. I pulled a string from tip to tip and the bow is .090 to .100 deep at the center. Do I have a problem, How did I get the problem and how do I fix it if it needs fixing.

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year, Frank

Me too :-(

I did the same. Cleco every hole, careful as can be. Yep: bent! :(
I emailed Vans and sent them a pic and they said it would be find. I think my bend was worse than yours. I haven't yet decided whether to build another (so I *know* it is ok), or to fly it and see. I may decided after I fit it to the fuselage and see whether it is noticeable; if it sticks out like a sore thumb then I'm building another one!

More worrisome..

I'd thik it's be more worrisome of it was curved after the rivets are shot. Take another look at the trailing edge after you shoot the stiffeners and see if that doesnt help straighten it a bit..

Thanks Jeff and Bill for your reply. Bill the stiffeners are riveted in and there is a cleco in every hole around the perimeter. You can not see the bow by just looking head on at the trailing edge,but you can when you sight down the edge from one end to the other.

Rudder Trailing Edge Bow

On my -7A, my rudder had a .030" bow after riveting, though I'm not sure how I got it that close.

However, I do remember seeing a Van's response on one of the posts that said up to .100" bow was acceptable from their standpoint.

As they say "build on" that little bit will never be noticed, except by you. Now you can go to bed and get a good nights sleep.

Thanks Jeff and Bill for your reply. Bill the stiffeners are riveted in and there is a cleco in every hole around the perimeter. You can not see the bow by just looking head on at the trailing edge,but you can when you sight down the edge from one end to the other.
A small bow should have a negligible effect on structural strength, aircraft handling, or performance.

I'd not worry about it until you get to the end of the project. If at that point you still have hopes of building an award winner, then make a new rudder. If you, like most of the rest of us, have collected enough small glitches that you've given up on any major awards, then simply fly the aircraft as is, and kill anyone who dares to sight down the trailing edge of your rudder. :)