tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
All,

I am curious if anyone has found a source for enclosed trailers or other means of shipping a completed RV that is on the landing gear (with engine). I thought at one point there was another RVer starting kit shipments?

I know Partain is highly recommended, but I am wondering if any other options exist (in the event that Partain can't accomadate some unique timing)? The landing gear width would preclude a normal Uhaul from being used.

Thanks,
Scott

Trailer

Scott,

I moved mine from Overland Park, KS to Dallas in a Budget truck on the landing gear. I didn't have an engine on at the time but don't think that would have mattered other than a few more hands to load.

Andy

OSH

You can rent a trailer to fit to take the plane to OSH. Measure and call around. We have one place here that rents wide enclosed race car trailers and tall trailers too. I hope all is going well!

Depends on--

Which RV you are talking about.

In my case, when I was looking into bringing my -10 home, there was no way it would fit into a rental trailer. Gear is over 8' wide, and tail is over 8' tall.

In a semi, maybe, but not into anything I could pull with my pickup.

I ended up using a flat bed implement trailer from Hertz. See this thread for a photo.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=17738

Start off your search with the specific dimensions needed, and dont be too surprised if you cant find what you need.

Partain is pretty good, but he is limited in size capability----------I would have had to remove the engine, and gear, to make a -10 fit in his trailer.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited:
RV-6A on gear will fit in U-Haul truck

Not sure which model you are looking to move but saw comment that you didn't think u-haul truck was an option. I moved my -6A from WA to CA last year in a 26 foot u-haul truck (fit lots of other stuff in there too - plenty of room). It was on the gear with engine hung and rode very well. Was fairly easy to get in and out using main gear ramps I made from 2x6 and a ramp kit I got at an auto parts store (nose wheel rode on the truck's ramp).
The door width on the 24 & 26 foot trucks is just wide enough to fit the -6A through the door after securing the ramps in place, although it did take a slight wiggle (one wheel before the other) or lift up on the tail to take some spring out of the mains.

I posted a few pictures at the following site:

http://www.ckhand.com/RV6Aproject/MovingTheRV/WA-to-CAmove.htm

Chris
RV-6A

Last edited: