Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I have all the wires hooked up, all the cables run and all the
avionics connected. In the ordeal of trying to make them talk to each
other. I have GRT EFIS, SkyRadar, GTN650 and 330ES.
The 330 is not talking to the EFIS yet, having problems.
But, Saturday I have everything on reading manuals etc.
On the EFIS I had the map screen up on GPS2 and it was getting a signal
in the shop.
I was reading and noticed something moving on the screen. It was the
white traffic diamond with vector line and altitude. It appeared to moving
toward the Baton Rouge area.
My 330 is not taking to the EFIS but the SkyRadar is hooked up with two
external antennas.
SO....was I seeing an airplane with ADS-B out?
I am still not exactly sure how all of that fits together. I know the 330ES
is ADS-B out but I had it in standby.
Sure would like to hear someones take on this.

Traffic_zps0f9d58da.jpg
[/URL]

Bert,
That plane has a tail number listed, so it's an ADS-B out target, meaning it has ADS-B out on board. You will get those targets even without your transponder active.

Yes, it's an airplane with ADSB-out which is being detected by the Skyradar. Note that it's 6000' above your altitude. The GRT set up has an option for a traffic filter, by altitude. If you had set that option for less than 6000' from you, that traffic displayed would have disappeared.

Your 330ES will activate the towers within range to output traffic for all targets they have. You will always receive traffic with ads-b out if you are reading the band that they are on. I'm not sure what the sky radar shows. You will be amazed how much traffic you will see when you are flying with full ads-b.

What DYNONSUPPORT said + ....

Bert,
That plane has a tail number listed, so it's an ADS-B out target, meaning it has ADS-B out on board. You will get those targets even without your transponder active.

Your transponder could have been non-existent or OFF and you would have received this. It is ALL a result of the SkyRadar RECEIVER.

I have been able to get data ON THE GROUND from a ground station that is about 14 miles away from my airport, using the SkyRadar and its antennas.

On the other hand, until you get the "OUT" working, you should assume that any traffic you see is a rather RANDOM event as there may or may not be others around who are "waking up" the system. Of course you WILL always get the full complement of weather though.

Despite complaints by many about its current level of (in)completeness, I think that ADS-B is good stuff. After all, it is not scheduled to be really done until over 5 years from now.

QUESTION: Are you using a D2 or a DX and which powered USB hub are you using??

James

Looks like he has a GRT HXr (trying to count buttons in the photo). The HXr and HX do not need a powered usb hub (only the SX does).
Your GRT EFIS will show, on the map page, "ADSB 3" if it is getting 3 ground stations. Unless you are close to one, you probably will get zero until you get airborne. BTW, that number is for 987 MHz stations broadcasting weather. There is unfortunately no indication of whether or not you are getting uplinked traffic from a ground station, or if it is direct air to you. As others have said, your mode S transponder should wake up those ground stations and then they should send you all the traffic they know about (ADSB and/or radar data) that is close to you. (I forget the exact definition of "close"). The Skyradar D2 does pick up broadcasts on both 987 and 1090 MHz. BTW, the skyradar will also broadcast wifi at the same time the USB output goes to the HXr, so you can also see traffic and wx on an iPad running WingX or Skyradar's software.

Make sure you have the latest GRT software so you can see ADSB-broadcast TFRs.

Also, (depending on how long you've had the GTN), you need to have pretty recent software (I forget the version) for the GTN to be an "approved" position source, feeding the 330-S-ES, for it to be an approved ADS-B -out system.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I figured that was what happened.
James I have the Skyradar-D2 and Bob is right, no USB hub,
straight to the back of the HXr. I put two TEDs on the bottom of
the fuselage behind the baggage compartment for the SkyRadar.
Read, somewhere, later that you only need one as the SkyRadar
has an internal splitter.
The firmware on the GTN is the 5.0 which is the latest available.
Talked to the Garmin folks yesterday, and 5.11 which they said would
be out in August, is being held up for approval by the FAA.
My GTN has been back to Kansas twice before it ever made it out
of the box due to AD's etc.
Talked to GTR, Todd I think, yesterday to get all the avionics talking
to each other. So now the GTN, 330 are talking to the EFIS.
We hung up before I was able to ask how do you get the xponder etc
to show up on the EFIS if you want to do remote.
Another call today.
Having real trouble getting the Aux's and settings right.
Thanks for the replies.

I may be wrong, but I do not think the HXr supports remote operation of the 330. Garmin tends to keep its software protocols propriatary. You can remote the 330 to the GTN. The HXr does support remote operation of the Trig 22 mode S ES transponder, but no other that I know of.

Right Bob

Talked to Todd this evening. Garmin does not let them remote
anything.
I was able to get the MAP and current sensor working as they should.

I have all the wires hooked up, all the cables run and all the
avionics connected. In the ordeal of trying to make them talk to each
other. I have GRT EFIS, SkyRadar, GTN650 and 330ES.
The 330 is not talking to the EFIS yet, having problems.
But, Saturday I have everything on reading manuals etc.
On the EFIS I had the map screen up on GPS2 and it was getting a signal
in the shop.
I was reading and noticed something moving on the screen. It was the
white traffic diamond with vector line and altitude. It appeared to moving
toward the Baton Rouge area.
My 330 is not taking to the EFIS but the SkyRadar is hooked up with two
external antennas.
SO....was I seeing an airplane with ADS-B out?
I am still not exactly sure how all of that fits together. I know the 330ES
is ADS-B out but I had it in standby.
Sure would like to hear someones take on this.

Traffic_zps0f9d58da.jpg
[/URL]

The traffic target you're seeing has a GDL88 ADSB Trasnceiver with a GTN750 as the position source