DonFromTX

Well Known Member
This alphabet soup of new stuff has me confused. My Skyview that is on the way to me has a Mode S transponder featuring TIS Traffic and ADS-B out. I don't know what I am getting, can someone help in simple terms? Isn't this ADS B stuff supposed to get weather too?

Last edited:
The simple version...

To get weather you have something that send out the required ADS-B out stuff and a receiver to receive the ADS-B stuff.

The Dynon xponder does not receive ADS-B. It will receive TIS traffic if it is available in the area you are flying.

Last edited:
You will get TIS-A traffic in the DFW area with your current set-up. You also comply with current ADS-B out requirements (assuming you have a WAAS GPS tied to the transponder).

You will need a UAT (universal access transciever) if you want to receive TIS B (traffic) and FIS-B (weather). However, even if you had the UAT today, the skyview cannot dispay the info, a software upgrade is "in the works" according to Dynon.

And we are still waiting for ADS-B to be installed in the DFW area, should be this year.

OK, thanks. That clears it up - some. Guess I will still have to look out the window I guess.

Guess I will still have to look out the window I guess.

And you always will. My guess is that many people will not equip with ADS-B Out. With fewer radars, those who have and use transponders will not show up in all airspace.

I will predict now that ADS-B Out will do lots less than anticipated in the collision avoidance arena. It might even lead to complacency that could increase mid-airs.

And you always will. My guess is that many people will not equip with ADS-B Out. With fewer radars, those who have and use transponders will not show up in all airspace.

I will predict now that ADS-B Out will do lots less than anticipated in the collision avoidance arena. It might even lead to complacency that could increase mid-airs.

I can't speak to the enroute airspace as that's not my specialty, but terminal radar, ie your standard ASR site at an airport that covers ~50nm around the primary airport won't be going away anytime soon.

Seems like it's kind of a waste to use ADS-B without ADS-B Out. Many (maybe all?) ground sites won't send TIS-B (traffic) info unless first receiving ADS-B Out from an aircraft. You might get lucky in a terminal area and piggyback on someone else's ADS-B Out, thus getting traffic (of a sort) but it would be unreliable.
Of course the WX info you can get with the UAT version of ADS-B does not depend on ADS-B Out but traffic does.

I have the Skyradar portable ADS-B receiver, which connects via WiFi to my Ipad, and provides EXCELLENT weather coverage, and limited traffic info. I now live in the East TN area, and consistently get good ADS-B reception once I'm above 500' AGL.

I use WingXPro7 with the Skyradar. However, Skyradar also has its own APP, which is as good or better than WingX. The Skyradar also has its own WAAS GPS included. An internal GPS in the Ipad is not necessary.

I have now dumped XM weather. With ADS-B Weather, I have not had dropouts, nor had to send refresh signals, nor had to pay a monthly subscription fee. And, Skyradar customer service is superior - - - I could never say that about XM.

I bought the Skyradar receiver for the Weather capability. If the traffic function develops, great, but I bought it for the Weather (Nexrad, Metars, TAFS, Winds Aloft, Pireps, TFR's).

Bill

Last edited:
I have the Skyradar portable ADS-B receiver, which connects via WiFi to my Ipad, and provides EXCELLENT weather coverage, and limited traffic info. I now live in the East TN area, and consistently get good ADS-B reception once I'm above 500' AGL.

I use WingXPro7 with the Skyradar. However, Skyradar also has its own APP, which is as good or better than WingX. The Skyradar also has its own WAAS GPS included. An internal GPS in the Ipad is not necessary.

I have now dumped XM weather. With ADS-B Weather, I have not had dropouts, nor had to send refresh signals, nor had to pay a monthly subscription fee. And, Skyradar customer service is superior - - - I could never say that about XM.

I bought the Skyradar receiver for the Weather capability. If the traffic function develops, great, but I bought it for the Weather (Nexrad, Metars, TAFS, Winds Aloft, Pireps, TFR's).

Bill

Spoke with Hilton (WingX) at the Sebring show and he said he'd be putting traffic on WingX very soon. WingX is currently capable of traffic but he intentionally left it off because of the hit and miss of getting traffic without ADSB out. (You can only get traffic if someone close by wakes up the ATC traffic function with ADSB out). If you are using the Skyradar box (and have a Dynon transponder) you can get FULL traffic via WingX (when he releases it) IF you have the dual band Skyradar receiver. Right now the 260A compliant software used in ADSB out devices will only wake up traffic for 1090 receive devices and the single band Skyradar is a 978 (UAT) receiver. Dynon is working to get the 260A transponder software upgraded (to 260B) at which time it will also wake up on 978. Yeah--it's complicated (what did you expect from the government?), BUT in the near future you should see Dynon with adsb IN weather and traffic as well as WingX, so good things are happening. To those waiting for the "magic" cheap compliance box that's going to make all this happen I suggest you start reading the available FAA material on the ADSB system.

Last edited:
Traffic displays now using Skyradar's own App. I like WingX a little better for its dual screen capability, but skyradar App is awfully good, and does show traffic, although I bought it for the wx capability. NEXRAD is displayed at a better resolution with Skyradar app than WingX, when zooming in.