SteinAir

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Below is what showed up at work here for me last week. Not necessarily "traditional" in RV terms, so it's sort of alternative. Now we all know I'm an RV'er at heart...we've done a number of them, but the next project just had to be something a little bit different. Mark Frederick and Doug Rozendaal almost had me building a rocket, but I figured if I was going to make the 50% jump from 4 cylinders to 6 cylinders, why not just add yet another 50% and go for 9 cylinders! It'll be a good long while before she's airworthy, and I'm not completely giving up RV's either!

985_4.jpg

985_0.jpg

985_1.jpg

985_2.jpg

Diameter - about 4 feet.
Weight - about 800 lbs (yes - thats right, EIGHT HUNDRED lbs).
Hp - about 500
Cubic Inches - 985
Supercharger - 12:1
Fuel Burn - depends on who's payin!

Cheers,
Stein

PS, everyone complaining about weights ought to think about this. The prop these things take are steel, about 96"-102" in diameter and weight about 170lbs!

Stein,

I've always thought an RV-7 or -9 would look great with a Continental R670 220HP radial out front. Kind of like a Spartan Executive.

OK, maybe it should go on an RV-10.

So exactly are you going to build around that beautiful monster.

One of THESE (see below) of course! Might not keep up with all the rocket guys down low, but up high should give you a run.....except for Milt, who also has the advantage of supercharging!

mullicoupe.jpg

coupebig.jpg

It is so nice to have at least one other person on VAF with a "real" traditional engine.

What a beauty your plane is gonna be.