jimbabwe

Hi Y'All,

I'm going to be needing to move my RV-7 up and down a hill to get it into and out of my hangar. I'm assuming that pulling it by the tailwheel is not the best idea, as the tailwheel is not designed for heavy pulling.

Does anyone know of an electric "tug" which would lift and secure each main wheel for this purpose?

Does anyone have any better idea?

Thanks!

Jim
New Owner of Black Magic along with Saskia

I'm not sure how big the hill is or how far you have to go, but your best bet is probably to put it on a trailer and tow with a vehicle....slowly..haha

" I'm assuming that pulling it by the tailwheel is not the best idea, as the tailwheel is not designed for heavy pulling."

I pull mine with the tail wheel all the time. I made a wood handle with a rope attached and the other end goes around the tail spring. Works great and it cost me about 40 cents.

ditto

rope a dope.

" I'm assuming that pulling it by the tailwheel is not the best idea, as the tailwheel is not designed for heavy pulling."

I pull mine with the tail wheel all the time. I made a wood handle with a rope attached and the other end goes around the tail spring. Works great and it cost me about 40 cents.

Is there a good reason...

...for not taxiing the airplane up and down hill? I often taxi my -6A into my hangar but not out because of dirt it blows. It sounds as though you may live on an airpark, no?

BTW, congratulations on a fine buy.

Regards,

For the past almost 12-years and 2,280+ flying hours, I just grab the horizontal of my RV-6 and push the airplane where ever I want. There is a slight incline up into my hangar. I shut down 20 feet past my hangar then use the HS to push the airplane backwards. When I get to about where I want the airplane, I turn 90 degrees and push right into the hangar up the slight grade.

Is there a good reason for not taxiing the airplane up and down hill?

BTW, congratulations on a fine buy.

Regards,

There are a couplethree of them.

Fence on one wing, hill on the other, hanger at the bottom. Bit narrow.

Ninety degree turn also.

Downhill taxi with a taildragger====poor visibility.

Agree with Jim, towing is the best option, just not sure of how best do it.

Just tow it by the tailwheel. Think of the load the tailwheel takes when it first comes in contact with the grass on landing. I suspect the loads are greater than anything you will put on it by gently towing it by the tailwheel.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Bill, you're right. Although the load would be mainly vertical, I'm sure a 3-pointer in the grass would put some drag on the tailwheel. Van's has said that pulling it by the tailwheel should be no problem.

Thanks, Pierre!

Now, to find an electric tow bar...