Geico266

Well Known Member
I guess I wasn't ready for winter. The ice & snow wasn't a huge problem for 2 seater RV's, but the 10 is pretty tough to move without help on snow & ice, and the last time I looked Van's doesn't make a reverse gear for these things.

How do you all get your planes back into the hanger? I can but a cheap 12v winch (with a remote) from Harbor Freight for $75 and hook it up to the tail tie down. Any problems towing on that hook or should I tie a rope to both steps? Any suggestions would help me, and I'm sure others having the winter towing / tugging blues.

I would be very cautious about towing an RV-10 from the tail tiedown. I doubt it will carry a lot of side load. In addition, you would also have to stear the nosegear while operating the winch, otherwise the nose wheel will turn on you as it is backed up.

I would suggest a motorized mover that you can attach to the nose wheel and move and stear at the same time.

I would be very cautious about towing an RV-10 from the tail tiedown. I doubt it will carry a lot of side load. In addition, you would also have to stear the nosegear while operating the winch, otherwise the nose wheel will turn on you as it is backed up.

I would suggest a motorized mover that you can attach to the nose wheel and move and stear at the same time.

I'm thinking of a winch with a remote control so I can steer the nose wheel and run the winch at the same time. It a flat area, I just can't get traction on the snow & ice.

I'm sure our VAF brothern that live in the sun belt are laughing at us cold country folk. :mad:

I just can't get traction on the snow & ice.

I'm sure our VAF brothern that live in the sun belt are laughing at us cold country folk. :mad:

Snow???

Ice???

Oh, well, your plane is flying, I am still working on mine.

You win!!!!

Funny, I had this exact conversation with a friend about my RV-10

We agreed that the side load would be unacceptable. I think I will start saving my pennies and go for a steerable 12v towbar.

$50 tug

You could get something like my $50 tug:

One of the other local RV-7A owners uses a similar tractor to move his plane in and out of his hangar.

Of course it was in the high 70's today so we don't have to deal with snow.

I bought a light duty winch with a cordless remote from Harbor Freight. I attached it to rear of the hanger using a couple of "C" clamps. I attach the cable to the rear tie down and I'll use a weight scale to see how much force is put on the tie down. Surly the tie down can handle 50-75 pounds of force pulling back-wards. If the scale is over 75#'s I'll tie a rope to both gears or steps and using a tow bar and the wireless remote. I can stand in front of the plane and guild it with the tow bar while using the wireless remote. Pretty slick.

Here is a link to the winch I bought for $69.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95912

Last edited:
will this help?

seen on ebay...
Not sure if this will help. May be modified to work? Sorry not sure how to attach properly.

Power Caster Trailer Mover! Model PC-2 NICE-WOW!! Item number: 290190116438

You are signed in Watch this item in My eBay

This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
As a guest, you can:
Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
Receive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends

Supersize

Starting bid: US $100.00
Reserve not met

Your maximum bid: US $
Place Bid >
(Enter US $100.00 or more)
Get low monthly payments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End time: Dec-17-07 21:30:00 PST (5 days 23 hours)
Shipping: Buyer responsible for vehicle pick-up or shipping. Vehicle shipping quote is available.
Sells to: United States
Item location: Davidsonville, Maryland, United States
History: 0 bids

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also:
Bid with Bid Assistant

Get mobile or IM alerts | Email to a friend

Listing and payment details: HideShow
Starting time: Dec-10-07 21:30:00 PST
Starting bid: US $100.00
Duration: 7-day listing
This is a Featured Plus! listing

Payment methods: Cashier's Check (certified from US or Canadian bank) or money order,
Cash (in person)
See details

Meet the seller
Seller: kubodaboy1062( 26)
Member: since Mar-25-04 in United States

See detailed feedback
Ask seller a question
Add to Favorite Sellers
View seller's other items

Contact the seller instantly

Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 26 | 100% Positive
See detailed feedback
2. Learn how you are protected
Read our safe buying tips

Description (revised)

Vehicle Description

THIS UNIT IS A LIFESAVER...I PURCHASED ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO AND USED IT TO MOVE MY TRAILER AT MY OLD HOUSE.I HAVE NOT USED FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS,BUT HAS BEEN IN MY SHOP INDOORS.VERY POWERFUL.TIRE HAS NO DRYROT.RED POST HOLDER HAS 3 RING TYPE SPACERS INSIDE TO ACCOMODATE ANY SIZE TRAILER POST.OR A BALL CAN BE PLACED IN CUP AS SHOWN. VERY HEAVY/SOLID WELDED STEEL .HAS FOWARD AND REVERSE,TESTED A WORKS GREAT.NOT ALL CLEANED UP...JUST CHAIN OILED AND TESTED. SERIAL#A1198 MOD-PC2 DAYTON GEARMOTOR MOD-5K345 GO TO POWERCASTER.COM FOR SPECS. AND INFO.

Enlarge this picture Select a picture

Well, I used my fancy romote controlled winch and it worked perfectly. I tied a rope to the top of the step. Van's thought of everything! There is actually a ridge on the top of the step to hold the rope in place, up high next to the fuse, so there is little "leverage" action. I just pushed the button and steered the plane back into the hanger. Sweet!

I don't need no stinkin $400 electric power tow bar. ;)