N788RV

I'm looking for recommendations on a good tow bar that will work well with an RV-8. I noticed a friend of mine had to do some modifications to his (made the socket deeper that fits over the tail wheel bolt).

N788RV said:
I'm looking for recommendations on a good tow bar that will work well with an RV-8. I noticed a friend of mine had to do some modifications to his (made the socket deeper that fits over the tail wheel bolt).
Someone once reported here that a Cessna 150 tow bar works just fine. I do hope so. Music to my ears, I kept the towbar when I recently sold my 150!

Rick6a said:
Someone once reported here that a Cessna 150 tow bar works just fine. I do hope so. Music to my ears, I kept the towbar when I recently sold my 150!
A buddy gave me a (small) Cessna towbar and it works perfectly. Not sure if it's for a -150/152, but probably is. Would work slightly better than perfect if the wheel bolt was actually stud that protruded each side about 1/2". But it's pretty low on my list of improvement projects.

Here is the inexpensive tow bar I've been using on my RV-6 since 1999:

http://thervjournal.com/airport.html#towbar

Just make sure the cotter key on the tailwheel axle is bent down flat and the bar will fit just fine. It also folds up nicely so you can carry it with you in the plane.

Low Pass said:
A buddy gave me a (small) Cessna towbar and it works perfectly. Not sure if it's for a -150/152, but probably is. Would work slightly better than perfect if the wheel bolt was actually stud that protruded each side about 1/2". But it's pretty low on my list of improvement projects.
Bryan,

When I bought my Doug Bell Tail Wheel, he gave me some extra bushings and a longer bolt than normal. This allows the Cessna towbar to fit over the longer stud, as you describe.

I have to hand it to Doug Bell, Jr & Sr, they sure know what they are doing!

N941WR said:
Bryan,

When I bought my Doug Bell Tail Wheel, he gave me some extra bushings and a longer bolt than normal. This allows the Cessna towbar to fit over the longer stud, as you describe.

I have to hand it to Doug Bell, Jr & Sr, they sure know what they are doing!
Thanks for the info. In a similar vein, was just thinking I could probably easily pick up a Grade 8 bolt that was ~1/2" longer and use washers on the head side to provide a little more projection/engagement.

Low Pass said:
Thanks for the info. In a similar vein, was just thinking I could probably easily pick up a Grade 8 bolt that was ~1/2" longer and use washers on the head side to provide a little more projection/engagement.
I'm sure a Grade 8 bolt will work. One advantage to the AN6-46 was it came drilled. I figure the cotter pin is cheep insurance at $2.98.

Thanks guys. I just got my Bogi Bar. I'm still building but I hooked it to the tail wheel and looks like it will work great. They even have a motorized one that I may need when my back is broke from bending over the fuselage pulling all the wires for my avionics.

I have a friend who custom makes them. He's made them for Citabria's, and RV's, etc.

taildraggah_1.jpg

taildraggah_closeup.jpg

Here's a link to a video of it.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3320825214572007541&hl=en

Here's his e-mail so you can contact him directly if interested.
[email protected]

I hate cotter pins....

Just tried out my Bogi bar last night and it won't fit over the cotter pin. We all use the same axle right ? Did anyone else need to make some mods to get it to work ?

Thanks

John

P.S.
Wx was nice last night. So, I was flying. Wx is crummy tonight. So, I will be putterin' around the hangar.

John_RV4 said:
Just tried out my Bogi bar last night and it won't fit over the cotter pin. We all use the same axle right ? Did anyone else need to make some mods to get it to work ?
First I used a smaller cotter pin, and that worked fine.

Then I ended up just using a nylok nut instead. Works even better. I probably wouldn't have rationalized using a nylok there until I saw a DAR with 2000+ hours on his RV do it...

I still hate cotter pins :)

I replaced the cotter pin and installed it carefully last night. Works great now. As for using a Nylok nut on the axle, I would NEVER do that.

At least not until the ones I ordered arrive -;) BTW, Spruce sells a catellated Nylok nut for this application. Belt and suspenders I guess.....

John