Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
OK bad typing, speeling and all. We have been looking at the new touch screen EFIS and COMM stuff. Going into this winter, it will be a good 4-5 months to study up on the new toys coming down the pipe, in order to do some picking for down the road use. We have seen most of what Garmin has out now. As well as have seen the new MGL screens and softwear boxes.
Has anybody here seen what may be coming, if at all for DYNON or AFS in the way of touch screens and updated flat screen-softwear and CPU's? We will be looking close at these and are still open to a couple more for maybe mid to the end of next year before dropping the hammer. Thanks yours as allways R.E.A.#80888

Saw a touchscreen from AFS at Copperstate. AF-5200 was the model #. Not up on their site yet, I believe.

Here is something to think about regarding touch screens.

While flying this past weekend, some parts of the flight were so bumpy that I was having a difficult time pressing the PPT on the end of the stick (I had the AP on, so my hand wasn't on it.

Then, when ATC would call with an altimeter change, grabbing the knob and twisting it was a bit of a challenge. I can only imagine how difficult shuch a simple task would be with a touch screen.

Agreed

Yes this one is in our mix of things to look at. We looked at this one with our talks with the Garmin Rep and hands on the Comm. 750 and 650.
Even the Rep said he wished it had a 1/8 higher brace on the ends, as he had had some good work in heavy chop and had to us the knob. We exspect that the little brace bars that you see on some of the old C-310 or on the Old Nasa ships will be installed if not on both sides at least on the knob side to be there if needed. Thanks, yours as always R.E.A. III#80888

Touch screens

To me, the difficulty to operate a touch screen in bumpy conditions, is an internet myth. I have had the opportunity to fly and use touch screens and they are no more difficult to operate than conventional knobs and buttons. In fact, they might be a little easier since there is side rail, grip, what ever you want to call it to steady your hand.

Touch screens are the direction things are headed and I'm sure most companies will be coming out with them in the next few years.

I'm putting a 750 in the new 7. Can't wait!!!

To me, the difficulty to operate a touch screen in bumpy conditions, is an internet myth. I have had the opportunity to fly and use touch screens and they are no more difficult to operate than conventional knobs and buttons. In fact, they might be a little easier since there is side rail, grip, what ever you want to call it to steady your hand.

Touch screens are the direction things are headed and I'm sure most companies will be coming out with them in the next few years.

I'm putting a 750 in the new 7. Can't wait!!!

I agree...the 796 has been a pleasure to use. It helps greatly when the interface is optimized for touch use.

My car's gps has a touchscreen and it's always smudgy and greasy, not to mention a few scratches from sharp nails. But that's a cheap portable unit. I can't see why anyone would want their EFIS worth a few thousand dollars to be smudgy and greasy.

And they ARE more work to use. The lack of tactile feedback means you must have your eyes on them, OTOH buttons can be pushed and turned without looking once their position is learned. That's a big negative for me. I prefer to do everything I can without taking my eyes off the road/runway.

For gps and navigation I would agree it's the way to go but not for instruments or radio IMHO.

Or they might be just a fad. Time will tell.

Maybe cooler, but not better.

Touch screens are fun on iPads, but they're not exact or precise and that's what you want for data entry in flight, plus as already mentioned, your screen will always be smudgy and when the sun hits that grease smear, there goes your sunlight readable capability. Manufacturers are increasing screen size vis a vis panel cut out size and reducing cost by eliminating buttons, fine so far. However the real future is to separate display from data entry. I want a screen to completely fill the panel cut out with whatever it's displaying, and then I want a totally separate data entry module/keyboard at the end of a cable so I can put it where I want and keep my potato chipped fingers off the screen! Let me put the data entry module wherever my non-flying or more capable hand is. There are many combinations possible, please let me set this up to suit me: Left handed? Right handed? Side by side? Tandem? Oh, yea, there should always be a landscape versus portrait option too on the display orientation.
Panel space is the most valuable space in the plane, IMHO it shouldn't be wasted on buttons and vast bezels.

No experience

My car's gps has a touchscreen and it's always smudgy and greasy, not to mention a few scratches from sharp nails. But that's a cheap portable unit. I can't see why anyone would want their EFIS worth a few thousand dollars to be smudgy and greasy.

And they ARE more work to use. The lack of tactile feedback means you must have your eyes on them, OTOH buttons can be pushed and turned without looking once their position is learned. That's a big negative for me. I prefer to do everything I can without taking my eyes off the road/runway.

For gps and navigation I would agree it's the way to go but not for instruments or radio IMHO.

Or they might be just a fad. Time will tell.

You don't have a name posted so I don't know who you are. I'll go out on a limb here and say you probably haven't flown with a touch screen. There is minimal touching and most is on the top and the bottom of the screen. No real issue. a simple wipe down is all that is necessary, if needed.

They ARE NOT more work to use. You still have to look at the screen with either one. Once you get used to the button protocol it is not an issue at all. AND, for those you can't get used to it, there is still buttons available.

The radios are actually easier to use. Why?, because you can touch the screen once to move the frequency for use.

I can tell you they are not a fad. I would urge everyone to fly behind these amazing technology before stating things that simply aren't true. Like all things they take some use and practice. About 5 hours and I was convinced that touch screens are cool and easy to use.

I'm putting dual Advanced Flight 5500's in the new 7 with a Garmin 750. Now, if AFS would make a 5500 Touch Screen, I'd be one happy camper!!!

Last edited: