bret

Well Known Member
I was given a CDI 20-100 IN. OZ. tq wrench, will this be ok for doing the smaller fastners. I never used an OZ. TQ wrench, how many OZ is 24 IN Lbs? 384 OZ ?

Are you sure it is in-oz? 100 in-oz would have to be smaller than a #6 screw, and the weight of the wrench would start to give you trouble???

16 ounces in a pound, 12 inches in a foot.
12 inch-pounds = 1 foot-pound
16 inch-ounces = 1 inch-pound
192 inch-ounces = 1 foot-pound

I think my math is correct here. The basic idea is that we are talking about force x distance (actually, arm but expressed in distance) so you just need to convert inches to feet and ounces to pounds.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

greg

Mike,

There are some (expensive!) inch-ounce screwdrivers out there. The shear screw in the Dynon autopilot servos are supposed to be torqued to some small number of inch-ounces.

greg

Bret,

That should be correct. So your wrench will do about 6 inch-pounds, or one-half foot-pound. Far too small to do AN3 or AN4 bolts, which is mostly what you will torque.

greg

16 ounces in a pound, 12 inches in a foot.
12 inch-pounds = 1 foot-pound
16 inch-ounces = 1 inch-pound
192 inch-ounces = 1 foot-pound

I think my math is correct here. The basic idea is that we are talking about force x distance (actually, arm but expressed in distance) so you just need to convert inches to feet and ounces to pounds.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

greg

Those numbers are right to me.

I have seen the small screwdrivers, even thought about carrying one for #6 #8 screws. I guess the 'wrench' description is what had me wondering.

That explains it then. I'd love to have one of the torque screwdrivers, but can't justify the cost.

Recall that in most cases, the *nut* gets torqued, not the screw or bolt. Still, there are places where it would be very nice to know that all the screws were torqued to the same (precise) value...tank attach screws, e.g.

Steve,

One can torque screws using a screwdriver bit in a socket, though it is not particularly convenient. And you have to have a torque wrench that goes low enough.

cheers,
greg

It has a 1/4" female hex, so you can Tq anything with an adapter. it will be awhile before I have a use for it, project on hold for the moment.

I'd love to have one of the torque screwdrivers, but can't justify the cost.

$18.50 + $5.95 shipping on the big auction site. 0-30 in-lbs. Tested accurate. Quite a few "Utica Torque Screwdriver"s on there now. YMMV!

%2524%2528KGrHqMOKj8E3IY%2528F5E%2528BN-C-BD-M%2521%257E%257E_12.jpg

Last edited:
RF power transistors have needed this type
of torque wrench for quite a few years.
If you want a new one look in catalogs for
electronic assembly tools. Also two-way
radio repair tools.
Tom