msmst25

Well Known Member
I'm installing the inboard hinge bracket on the vertical stabilizer, and it uses AN365 self-locking nuts. According to the directions, they should be torqued to 2.3 foot pounds. I don't think that my torque wrench is precise enough to set this, but most of the torque wrenches that I see for sale start at 5 foot pounds. Am I misinterpreting the instructions, or do I just need to keep looking for a torque wrench with lower settings?

I use a 1/4" beam-type torque wrench to measure the running torque. Then since it's already set up and on the nut, I continue and use it to establish the torque.

Dave

Look up on Amazon ?CDI dial type torque wrench? you want the 1/4 inch drive, and the appropriate range. CDI wrenches are the people who make them for Snap-on, so you are getting the quality without the price.

They are really, really nice quality, and the 1/4 drive versions are less than $150.. a bargain for a precise instrument!

And if you use a "click" type torque wrench, on the smaller AN3 bolts you may not hear the click at 25 to 30 in-lbs., the ratchet head of the wrench will just gently flex and touch the handle. Broke off my first two AN3's on the empennage years ago because I expected a noise and just kept cranking.

CDI

I have the CDI 1/4 click type. It's a very subtle click at 25. I usially put it in the vise to test the feel.
I also have a CDI screwdriver. It has a very noticeable break. Feels like the screwdriver broke.
Now I want one of the dial type! Oh bother.:D