danielhv

Well Known Member
How will my torque settings be affected when using a 3" extension? Enough to worry about? Its a click style wrench btw.

-Daniel

Hold the head of the wrench in your free hand and ensure that you're not side-loading the extension at all, and there's no effect on torque values.

That depends what type of extension we're talking about. There are the type that everyone has that extend the drive of the ratchet so that you can reach into a hole (like changing spark plugs). This type will not affect torque settings. Then there are the type that actually look kinda like a box-end wrench. The ratchet drive goes in one end of the wrench and the other end of the wrench goes on the fastener. This second type will definitely change the torque and must be compensated for.

How will my torque settings be affected when using a 3" extension? Enough to worry about? Its a click style wrench btw.

-Daniel

Nadda... most of the time, unless you're dealing with big stuff will an extension harm you with torque values. We are dealing in small values most of the time.

Actually, it always affects the results...however, if the extension length is a very small percentage of the torque wrench length, the result MIGHT be negligible.

The actual torque versus indicated torque is higher by a ratio of the length of the extension divided by the torque wrench length. Thus a 1 inch extension (crowfoot) on a 10 inch wrench will give an actual torque 10% higher than indicated. But a 3 inch extension will give you 30% higher torque!!!!

If the math makes your head hurt, use the following online calculator:

http://www.belknaptools.com/extcalc.asp

Actually, it always affects the results...however, if the extension length is a very small percentage of the torque wrench length, the result MIGHT be negligible.

The actual torque versus indicated torque is higher by a ratio of the length of the extension divided by the torque wrench length. Thus a 1 inch extension (crowfoot) on a 10 inch wrench will give an actual torque 10% higher than indicated. But a 3 inch extension will give you 30% higher torque!!!!

If the math makes your head hurt, use the following online calculator:

http://www.belknaptools.com/extcalc.asp

I imagine he's talking about a socket extension, not a handle extension or crows foot. We're discussing extensions along different axes.