ssisca

I just started to rivet the top wing skins and I am finding it a bit difficult to get my back rivet plate flush with the rivet head due to the slight curve of the ribs. I am constantly shimming up the wing to get the rivet flush on the plate. Its doable but frustrating. I'm trying to do this solo so bucking is not going to work out. Any suggestions or do I get myself a helper and buck these babies? Thanks.

I would get the helper. You can still back rivet in the wing jig or shoot and buck whatever you feel comfortable with.
Hope this helps.
My .02

Get a helper and buck them. They go pretty fast, if I remember we did a whole wing in about 2 hours.

Buckin worked just fine for me

What worked for me was normal riviting. I had help with the top skin. However the bottom skin I did myself. I have had different people help me and I found it easier to teach them to use the rivit gun. Always make sure they know not to pull the gun away without releasing the trigger first, and have the gun set back so that it takes a fair amount of time to set the rivet. That way it is less likely to get any distortion or smiles on the rib where the rivets lay.. I only used backriviting for the rudder and elevator stiffeners. Good Luck.

jarvis

I just started to rivet the top wing skins and I am finding it a bit difficult to get my back rivet plate flush with the rivet head due to the slight curve of the ribs. I am constantly shimming up the wing to get the rivet flush on the plate. Its doable but frustrating. I'm trying to do this solo so bucking is not going to work out. Any suggestions or do I get myself a helper and buck these babies? Thanks.

Use a bucking bar as your back rivet plate..........

Glenn...when you say use a bucking bar as your back rivet plate, you are also suggesting like some other have that I have someone help by holding the bar against the skin while I back rivet with the wing assembly clamped in a vertical orientation on my bench?

Glenn...when you say use a bucking bar as your back rivet plate, you are also suggesting like some other have that I have someone help by holding the bar against the skin while I back rivet with the wing assembly clamped in a vertical orientation on my bench?

Exactly, that is how I did mine, they were hanging vertical, and my bucking buddy was on one side, and I was on the other. Just a small flat bar will do. It was easy and my top skins came out as smooth as a baby's butt! (Wish the rest of my plane did! :D )

Try these...

I used this round bucking bar and an extended back rivet set to backrivet my top skins. You can get these at any of the suppliers (Avery). The rounded edges on the bucking bar help prevent dents in the skin that you would get if you didn't hold a regular square bucking bar perfectly flat on the skin. You should be able to crank out the top skins in no time.....

I used this round bucking bar and an extended back rivet set to backrivet my top skins. You can get these at any of the suppliers (Avery). The rounded edges on the bucking bar help prevent dents in the skin that you would get if you didn't hold a regular square bucking bar perfectly flat on the skin. You should be able to crank out the top skins in no time.....

The beauty part of backrivetting with this setup is that all the skill is required at the gun so you can use any warm, unskilled, body to hold the bucking bar over the manufactured head and you shoot from in back. Makes findng a helper easier 'cause not everyone is gonna do a good job holding the bucking bar or running the gun. Get one of these big rounded guys and your bucker won't have to deal with it dancing around so much while you shoot since it's so heavy.

Thanks..

Gonna go with a helper and that round bar for sure. Just spent an 1.30HR by myself again and made very little progress. Thanks for tips.