RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I know on the wing skins you do some scarfing at the lap joint where multiple layers fit. The plans say nothing about this for the top fuselage skins. Do you try to blend the edge of the top skin that meets the fuselage side skins, I clecoed mine on without the scarf and it looks fine but there is an edge when you run your hand along the seem. I am not sure which way to go, part of me does not want to make this edge any thinner. I have bent the edge slightly with a edge roller so the joint is tight. Thanks for the help as usual

Cheers

I just went through this on my -10 wings. The -10 plans give the option to taper the edges for a more "aestheticly" pleasing look. I didn't bother and they look just fine after riveting. But what is fine for me might not be for others.

The intent for the wing "scarf joint"...

...was to have the wing skin joint (in the area immediately behind the fuel tank) match up flush, height wise, with the wing skins. This was only for the immediate area behind the tank. The two layers of wing skin, where they overlap each other, caused the top skin to sit proud of the tank skin. This could be taken as a "cosmetic issue" by some builders, so the area immediately behind the tank skin, in the area of the overlapped top skin, could be optionally "scarfed". If utilized, the scarf should only be for about a 1" x1" area, scarfing the bottom skin and then matching the mirrored operation with the top skin. If not scarfed, the top skin sticking proud obviously catches / disrupts some air flow in this area.

For the fuselage skin, the forward skins lay on top of the after skins in a more streamlined manner, so airflow is minimally disturbed.

Mike,

I had the same question and looked at my QB fuse skins for quidance. They have been "smoothed" as it were.

Seems to me it is a matter aesthetics. I put a moderate radius on the edge and it seems to look better.

Don