Brambo

Well Known Member
I'm about to get started on the cowling and was reviewing Dan C's comments. He mentioned leaving the spinner a little high to compensate for the eventual settling of the engine, but didn't mention how much. I'm sure there must be a fair number of people out there that did the same thing, so how much did you allow for settling and how did it end up working out?

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

I seem to remember this question coming up before and the answers were all over the place. Some sagged, some didn't. I don't think any engines moved up though :D. I'm in the process right now of doing all the final massaging of the cowl/spinner interface and decided to make it as perfect as possible and not plan on any sag. My reasoning is that if I set the engine high and it doesn't sag, I'm stuck. On the other hand, if I do it my way and it does sag in the future, I can put washers on the lower engine mounts to bring it back up. YMMV.

I put mine 3/16" high and by 25 hrs or so it had settled down to be perfect - hasn't moved since. YMMV ;-)

Ditto here--I made the top of my spinner 3/16" high when fitting the cowl and within 15 hrs it was even. I now have 150+ hrs and there has been no further sag. When it does (and it will as the rubber mounts age) I will simply shim between the rubber and the engine.

BTW, I understand that if you are using the harder rubber aerobatic mounts that they do not sag near as much as the stock items which come with our RV kits.

Cheers,

db