JohnF

Well Known Member
I have my top cowl pretty much finished except for final attachment of the oil door.

I wonder how those of you who are finished go about installing the hinge pins that attach the top aft hinges together. I tried starting through the oil door opening, and that doesn't work well, and using the small opening where the clip for the hinge pins are secured doesn't work well either because you cannot see the hinge eyes, and getting the pin started is pretty hard on my old Navy vocabulary to say the least.

What have you found to be the best way to get these pins in?

Thanks for your info.

John at Salida, CO

Top piano hinge

John, the small hinge plate at the top SHOULD be enough room for you to get the pin started. One thing you might want to do is 'round' the edge of the pins that you insert; it tends to help the pin more smoothly through the eyes. It's almost a straight shot in, in our 12.
Meade and George
RV120016

The little door on top

You pretty much have to go thru that little door on top. The hood should be pretty much in place if you put the side pins in place first. use a small flash-lite to see the hinge eyes. Once you get it started, use a little pressure to move them along. Did you round the ends as called out ? That is essential. After you have done it 4 - 5 times, it gets better. Lube them too.

John Bender

As far as lubing the hinge pins, paraffin wax works very well. Just rub the pins with a small block of wax. Unscented of course!!

Navy WordSmithing...

...helps early on, but it will get better. I do not know how far along you are on the cowl fit process, but this is what "helped" me...

With the top cowling removed, fit and FORM a hinge pin to exactly conform to the long hing segment that is riveted to the top of the firewall. When you can get this pin segment to slide through hinge eyes, then this one is ready.

Next, do the same thing to the shorter hinge pin segment.

Now, when both hinge pins can be inserted and removed, you can see where a small bend can be placed in each pin end so that you will have a small "handle" to grab hold of when the top cowl is installed.

Finally, install the top cowl and try the insertion / removal process. As mentioned in earlier post, tapering the insertion end of the pin is a big help.

Hopefully, your new found vocabulary will be appropriate to even a Coastie.