prkaye

Well Known Member
Two tool questions:

1) My toolkit came with an abrasive wheel with a hole in the center. The sticker says "XL unitized wheel". I gather this is for deburring. I think it's supposed to go on a drill, or a die grinder or bench grinder...
to put it in a drill, what sort of fitting do i need for the drill? The wheel just has a hole in the middle (no metal shaft or anything to chuck into the drill).
How would it attach to a die grinder or bench grinder?.

2) Is it normal for an air hose swivel to leak a bit of air as you move it around?

prkaye said:
Two tool questions:

1) My toolkit came with an abrasive wheel with a hole in the center. The sticker says "XL unitized wheel". I gather this is for deburring. I think it's supposed to go on a drill, or a die grinder or bench grinder...
to put it in a drill, what sort of fitting do i need for the drill? The wheel just has a hole in the middle (no metal shaft or anything to chuck into the drill).

2) Is it normal for an air hose swivel to leak a bit of air as you move it around?

1) Are you talking about the BIG wheel that looks like it belongs on a bench grinder? It belongs on a bench grinder :p You can also chuck it in a drill press with very good results. You need a mandral to do this. They can be purchased from Cleveland or Avery. The hole is already the right size for your bench grinder. I wouldn't spin that big wheel in a drill, though, both for your safety and the drill's health.

If you're talking about the smaller wheels (look like big brother to something you might find in a dremel kit), they go in a die grinder with a different kind of mandrel (looks like a shaft with a big screw on the end...screws right into the smaller wheels).

Check out www.rvproject.com and go to the tools pages. Dan does a superb job laying out exactly what all the tools do.

2) Yeah, they leak. Some worse than others, but they all leak.

Last edited:
Tools Question

prkaye said:
Two tool questions:

Prkaye,
The answer to question 1 is found on page 53 of the Avery tool catalog. What you need is the steel mandrel for the scotch-brite wheel. Part number 934, cost is $16.50.

Answer for question 2 is no, it should not leak air. You might have an o-ring problem.

If the abrasive wheel, as mentioned above, is about 6" in diameter, will attach to your grinder. Replace one of the existing wheels. If its one of the smaller wheels (2" or 1") you will need a seperate mandrel for those.

I received one swivel unit with my tool kit - Aircraft Tool Supply - no leaks. I also bought two swivels from Northern Tool - no leaks.

Good luck with your tail kit. I'm about to finish up with my elevators and lemme tell ya - this has been fun! :D

Geez, what is it with you guys? I have 4 different swivels from 4 different manufacturers, and every last one of them leaks when it's actively swiveling :confused:. LOL...maybe it's all that bad karma I built up in college...

I'm wondering if the desert heat and dryness out here is somehow responsible? Mine only leak slightly, but it's definately there.

Oh well...just one more reason to move back to the east coast! :D

Careful with that big wheel

Not owning a variable speed grinder I found that the 6 inch wheel, along with my chip chaser, to be the 2 least used tools in my collection. The 6 inch wheel was only good for thicker parts otherwise it just takes material off too quickly. I do like the two inch wheels in my drill press though.

arffguy said:
Not owning a variable speed grinder I found that the 6 inch wheel, along with my chip chaser, to be the 2 least used tools in my collection. The 6 inch wheel was only good for thicker parts otherwise it just takes material off too quickly. I do like the two inch wheels in my drill press though.

I guess this is the thread for contrary answers...my 6-inch scotchbrite wheel gets used many times every day. And I don't have a variable speed grinder -- just a cheap one from Home Despot. You need to have a little work stand on your grinder so that you can control the amount of force you apply to the wheel, allowing you to smooth anything from heavy stock to very thin sheet without any appreciable cut-down. Though you do need to be careful on the really thin stuff for chatter.

I can't think of any alternative method that won't cost you loads of time and/or give inferior results.

(And both of the air swivels I've had, one cheap one expensive, occasionally leak while swiveling too :) )

The 6 inch wheel is probably the most used thing i nthe shop for me. I will say that I have a medium and a polish wheel and use the polish wheel on thin material and to "finish" parts. My 6 inch polish wheel is now about 4 1/2 inches.

FWIW my swivels don't leak, who knows.

Well, I thought I was ordering a medium 6" scotch bright wheel (like my two 2" medium wheels that I'm useing in my 2600 rpm drill) but it seems that cleavland sent the soft one. I attached it to my delta dial-in variable speed drill press (500 -1700 rpm) and it works very well in both low speeds and in higher speeds. Cleans up scratches nicely. :) Oh, and yes I have cheaper swivels and they leak when in travel...minor problem, 60 gallon compressor :p

Last edited:
My swivels usually don't leak. And I'm not using the scotchbrite wheel, mostly because I don't have one, I do have the friggin varable speed grinder tho. I mostly use a die-grinder with scotchbrite discs in it for debur right now.

FWIW ...

For me the 6" scotchbrite wheel in the bench grinder (cheap single speed) is pure magic. Every single part gets a pass over this thing. Just finesse it a bit and the thinner pieces will be fine. However, when you need to do some serious smoothing (like on the aileron brackets) nothing beats it.