dave_091

Hi guys,

I'm in the VERY early stages of building a RV8. I've got the preview plans and that's it.

I'm going to build the EAA chapter 1000 workbench, cleanup the garage, and order an airframe tool set.

Since I will eventually have to buy all the tools anyways I am going to order a complete set. Which set do you guys recommend? Avery or Clevland?

Also, I will obviously need a compressor, what size is sufficient and budget friendly?

Do you have any recommended tools on top of the ones already in the kits offered by Avery or Cleveland?

Welcome

Welcome Dave.
Tool question is almost as debatable as primer but there was a pretty good recent thread that may help. There were some good additions to standard kits.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125772&highlight=tools
I always recommend a quality starter set because builders are as individual as their planes. We all like certain tools other may not ever use.

Compressors are also a big subject but oiled, 220v, 60 gal seem the preferred. Bigger the better.
Lots build with smaller. Mine is a 5hp, 20gal and works fine including priming. I doubt it would handle a full paint job due to lack of volume.

Perfect

There is a lot of lingo in the thread I will have to learn. I'll figure it out over the years while I am building. I will order one of the tool sets and go from there. I'm sure I'll have enough tools in the kit to keep me busy for a while.

Cheers!

One more...

There is a reply in that thread stating that one guy uses electric tools for everything except for riveting.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using cordless electric drills vice pneumatics?

Electrics

You want speed drilling holes in aluminum. The preferred choice is Sioux drill and gun. 1/4" for drill and 3x for rivet gun. Lots use cordless or corded electrics for other stuff. You want slower, higher torque for things like countersink cutter or hole saw. As with anything, some prefer one or the other for everything and will argue the merits.
For a basic kit, I would go c-frame, Sioux drill and gun, Cleveland squeezer, tungsten bar and Wedgelock clekos. If money is available, add a pneumatic squeezer, adjustable set, quick change pins, 3" yoke, longeron yoke and no hole yoke.

There's so much more but much of it is personal preference. For example, I use reamers. Tons of RVs are built without them. I've got three countersink cages. You could easily build with one. I have close to 1,000 silver clekos. You can build with far less. I use tank and substructure dies. Most don't.

I think it's best to buy basic, find a mentor, pound some aluminum and then decide what fits they way you like to build.

I'm no expert but feel free to PM or e-mail if I can help.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using cordless electric drills vice pneumatics?

(RV-8 builder here, started in August 2014, on Fuselage now)

For match drilling holes, which is the vast majority of what you'll do, a cordless electric drill works fine. However, there are quite a few places where you have to match through a skin to a deeper material and make a much deeper drill cut, and for those a pneumatic drill is quite valueable. It's quicker and gives you less chance of the bit shifting.

In addition, when drilling out rivets you'll have better "luck" with a pneumatic as you have much more control over the way the bit walks.

I've actually found both are great at times because when you have a second set of hands you can both be drilling things at the same time.

What's worked for me on my RV-8:

Get a solid compressor. I bought a 40 gallon from Lowes, I think I paid $499 for it. Paid for a plumber to install some black pipe, wired it to 220, and put in a couple of hose fittings in the hangar where I work so I can use it for other things too. Nearest my workbench I have an air/oil separator and a pressure regulator, both bought from Lowes as well. You'll use this for riveting, drilling, blowing away aluminum chips.

I didn't buy a pre-established "kit" of tools, but pieced together what I wanted and over time bought more as need dictated. I've probably made 6 orders to Cleaveland Tool, 2-3 to Avery, and a few dozen to Aircraft Spruce. All learning as I go.

I find that Aircraft Spruce is almost always the "cheapest" place to buy basic supplies, though they don't have some of the speciality items the other places carry, so if I'm going to order from them I try to bundle things up to save on shipping.

I'm happy to go over a specific list of what I've gotten and what I haven't needed if that's helpful.

Pneumatic drills are noisy, which is why I primarily use my battery powered drill but the air power is there when the battery dies or when I want to make noise and wear ear plugs. :)

220v compressors will use about half the energy of a comparable 110v unit but also may cost more and you might not have the extra capacity in your electrical box.

Last edited:
Dave,
The most important tool you will need (and one you won't find in any tool kit) is called perseverance. As Pierre Smith (RV-10 owner here on the forums) has in his tag line: "It is not money or skill that finishes these airplanes, it is perseverance."

Get hard-headed and stubborn about it, because this project is not for the meek or timid...it will test your will, your mettle, your sanity (more than once), your budget and possibly your marriage too. Get your wife and family involved with the build, so they can see it as "their" airplane too. They don't have to help mash rivets...just their support and understanding while you go "work on the plane" will help you keep going.

Get your wife to read Rosie's travel stories here on the forums, and read them yourself, too. Dreams can be very powerful. Those stories have kept my dream alive through some very tough times, and I can't recommend them highly enough.

I wish you the best of luck going forward, and can't wait to read your first flight report.

Best Wishes,

Dave,
The most important tool you will need (and one you won't find in any tool kit) is called perseverance. As Pierre Smith (RV-10 owner here on the forums) has in his tag line: "It is not money or skill that finishes these airplanes, it is perseverance."

Get hard-headed and stubborn about it, because this project is not for the meek or timid...it will test your will, your mettle, your sanity (more than once), your budget and possibly your marriage too. Get your wife and family involved with the build, so they can see it as "their" airplane too. They don't have to help mash rivets...just their support and understanding while you go "work on the plane" will help you keep going.

Get your wife to read Rosie's travel stories here on the forums, and read them yourself, too. Dreams can be very powerful. Those stories have kept my dream alive through some very tough times, and I can't recommend them highly enough.

I wish you the best of luck going forward, and can't wait to read your first flight report.

Best Wishes,

I would endorse every single word Moose said here. You will be pleasantly surprised how few essential tools you need to finish an airplane.

There is a reply in that thread stating that one guy uses electric tools for everything except for riveting.

I have made that statement and may or may not be the guy you're referring to, but I stand by that sentiment. I have a Sioux drill and used it for most of my drilling, but now you can buy 20 volt cordless drills that will turn over 2000 RPM...a far cry from when I started. I love being able to just grab my drill and do what I need to do without dragging a hose all over the workshop and with the attendant noise from the compressor. I haven't touched my Sioux drill motor in over a year, I know.

i have built 45 RVs (with some help) I use Avery Tools. You will be better served if you get some help. visit others shops, and learn how others build.
Every shop has some tips for you to learn.
I have a Home Depot 220v roll around compressor, it has needed one motor in 19 years. Served me well.
Do not build unless you want to build. better to buy if you dont.

I would endorse every single word Moose said here. You will be pleasantly surprised how few essential tools you need to finish an airplane.
So true!

I know of one guy who built his RV-7A up through having the fuselage clecoed together in a one car garage.

Because of the tight space, he had a small compressor, a cordless drill, hacksaw and files. No drill press, bandsaw, etc.

He eventually bought a house with a two car garage and finished it there.

Thanks!

Ill be honest, I was looking at other aircraft to build during my research over the last few years. Every single time, I am coming back to the RV8. This is what I want to do!
I've given some serious thought to buying a used aircraft. But, I am certain that I am interested in the building process. I have been scavenging information of builders webpages for years now. I've never driven a rivet in my life, but I bet I'll be well prepared when I drive that first rivet home.

My wife is tired of watching me researching, she is the one that is actually pushing me to pursue my dream of building an aircraft and calling it my own. She supports me 100%. We have had many conversations over dinner about this.

This is a build that I plan on completing in no less than ten years, I will be kidding myself if I think I can do it faster. I am interested in taking the time and doing the job the way I want to do it. Im going to love watching this aircraft slowly (but consistently) come together bit by bit, week by week.

I have almost got the chapter 1000 work benches built, just waiting to get a couple slabs of plywood this weekend and they will be finished Sunday.

I will without a doubt encounter multiple moves while building the aircraft. I am a serving Canadian Forces member and I'll be posted every 3-5 years. I've already started thinking about crating assemblies so they will survive the moves unscathed.

Thank you for helping me with my questions. You guys are giving me the confidence I needed to know that I chose the right aircraft. This Vans community is second to none!