Klaatu

I'm New Here
Hello everybody, I am a novice here (this is my first post).
My name is Alberto, I am from Italy and I?d like to say hello to all members.
I am starting to build my first Vans plane, a RV9 model.
I bought the empennage and I am eager to start the construction.
Unfortunately I?ve got a problem with the tools and I would like to have your opinion on the matter.
On the first days of December I ordered from one most popular (USA) tool shop a pneumatic drill (which was offered at special price) together with some other tools for a total amount of about 600$ (paid immediately by credit card).
After more than 2 months, I am still waiting for my order.
I also sent lots of emails to this vendor, but they replay to me only two times to say they were sorry and waiting for the drill which was on back order without any further details on the expected time of delivery.
What do you suggest I should do?
Thanks a lot,
Alberto

Welcome to VAF!

Hello everybody, I am a novice here (this is my first post).
My name is Alberto, I am from Italy and I?d like to say hello to all members.

Alberto

Alberto, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

No responses....so I'll jump in.

Typically, many vendors would send the majority of items EXCEPT the one on backorder. Given the international nature of the shipment, it may not make sense for the vendor to do this for you. Nevertheless, I'd expect a good explanation for the delay and I'd expect the company to be responsive to my emails. I'd call them and expect a good verbal response. Without it, I'd call my credit card company and have them stop payment.

Sorry to hear that you're having a negative experience so early in the build. I'd say this is a rarity as opposed to the norm! Good luck...and keep us posted on this issue and your progress.

David

Unacceptable

You are over seas but they (whomever), don't answer your e-mails? Doesn't sound good. In my opinion, you should call your credit card company and cancel the order immediately. I wouldn't even give the tool company the courtesy of trying to explain why they haven't shipped your tools. Sixty days is way too many days.

Is it possible that your tools have been hijacked somewhere in international mail?

After you cancel your current order, then, call one of the companies that advertises on the VAF and talk to them. Tell them your story and if you are satisfied that they can send your order to you immediately, them purchase your tools from them. Again, use your credit card.

I have had excellent service from A,B,C - Avery Tools, Brown Tools, and Cleveland Tools and there are others here that are excellent. Check out the advertisers on this web site.

Please keep us up to date on how this turns out.

Welcome aboard, Alberto.

I have been on the other side of this. When I was shipping products around the world, I only had problems twice... both in Europe. It seems that customs will intercept shipments and delay delivery for several weeks.

In these cases, the very first thing my customers did was formally dispute payment, without contacting me first. Because of the formal dispute mechanisms, I could not contact the customer directly to resolve without the involvement of a third-party agent!

Needless to say, this was frustrating. In both cases, my customers ended up with two items (one free replacement that I shipped, plus the one stored by customs). Fortunately, I received the duplicate orders back.

So, my recommendation to you is to keep it professional and deal with your supplier's customer service. If you can't get satisfaction, then contacting the credit card company is in order. My bet is that customs is the problem.

Finally, you should always ask your supplier if they are experienced with international orders. Most US based companies will just pass of your orders to a shipping company at enormous cost to you. You will then pay inflated shipping costs and brokerage fees. A $5 parts order can end up costing $100 in shipping related costs. I solved this problem when I shipped small orders to customers anywhere in the world for no extra charge! A smart vendor will know how to do this, but in my experience there are almost no US based suppliers that care about this problem. Perhaps now with the recession, they will focus on international sales more diligently.

Perhaps some of the Euro based builders out there will pass on their preferences and tips on favourite suppliers.

no hijacked in international mail

Thanks a lot for your encouragements and your courtesy. I am very far from you, but I feel to be in a large family.
I hope to make true my dream to build a RV plane, now I am more 'relaxed' to have so much friends ...
There is no mail/shipping problem, they have not ship the tools yet. This is very easy to see in my account at the voice "order history" it is still "box labels/cod tags"
Regarding the letter A,B,C, unfortunately for me the letter "A" is the problem !! hope you understand me :(
The most frustrating thing is one replay to my 8 emails ... "I am waiting on some drill that are on back order. sorry...."
I also consider a very stupid thing because it was my intention to order many other items for about 1,500$.
So I am going to cancel the order and request my money back
Thanks,
Alberto

Last edited:
Alberto,
You will have fun with your 9 build once you get your tools! I agree with your plan to cancel the order. There are several tool companies and I have had great luck with all of them. One thing I wanted to mention was there are several builders and flyers in Italy that post here. I don't know any of them other than their posts, but they all appear to be very nice people and I bet willing to give you some advice or help if needed.

Good luck and have fun. Keep us up to date on how your build is going.

2nd episode ...

thanks Rockwoodrv9, about me: I am a weather officer in LIPY (Ancona) airport. I studied in a aeronautic high school years ago, I am in the national air traffic control agency (ENAV) since 1988 as pre-flight/met senior officer. I consider myself a very lucky man, I do a nice job, in the aeronautic field that I love. I've got the PPL snce 1980 with some italian planes called 'partenavia'. After I've flown with almost cessna single engine, piper 24, 28 and seneca II twin engine plane.

About my problem:
I send another email to cancel the order to get back my money.
The replay was unespectedly fast:
-It has shipped. You should have any day.-
In the internet site on my order is still write: "box labels/cod tags" (not yet shipped)
No apologize words, no explanation, no shipping documents, nothing at all :eek:
Now I can't send to my credit card the letter to get back the money, but I request them the shipping document, this is the replay:
-What I am doing I am resending the order today because I think it may have got lost. If you get to can you return one. I have upgraded the order to express mail. Here is the tracking # ec69::::us. Thanks xxxx -
Any idea where to get the tracking information / DHL / FEDEX etc ??
see in the next episode ...:mad:

Last edited:
That number looks like an Express Mail tracking number -- you can track it at www.usps.com.

I ship stuff to Europe and all over the world, all the time. USPS mail is the only way to do it without stupidly huge fees charged by other options (UPS, Fedex, DHL). MOST of the packages make it through just fine with minimal delay. Once in a while Customs will delay them - it seems to happen most often in a couple of EU countries. Customs clearance in Italy and the UK can be really fast, or really horrible. And once in a while a package just disappears, never to be seen again. That only happens to a couple a year, so I just re-ship if it's been missing for more than 60 days.

Alberto--Like others that have responded, I ship alot of orders overseas. Almost always with USPS to save the customers money over UPS, Fed Ex, or DHL. I email the Customs # to the customer so everyone is aware of what the status is.
I would definately track it to see where it is. I personally think 6 weeks is too much to wait, but thats just me. WE have alot of great vendors on VAF that can help you.
Tom