jssaylor2007

How variable are the tools required between all the RV Kits? Like say between a -10 and a -14, or between a -14 and -9? Was wondering if they are basically all the same tools, but less clecos?

I got a call about a possible hangar availability coming up, so I'm in super duper kit research mode again. This will be my first ever build, but I anticipate doing another in the future. Kind of wondering if I shouldn't go for something simpler like a Rans to just get a feel for building an airplane, or if I should go all-out and do an RV-10. I know I'll eventually want a XC cruiser, but I know I'll also want something for landing in fields and such eventually as well.

your mission

How variable are the tools required between all the RV Kits? Like say between a -10 and a -14, or between a -14 and -9? Was wondering if they are basically all the same tools, but less clecos?

I got a call about a possible hangar availability coming up, so I'm in super duper kit research mode again. This will be my first ever build, but I anticipate doing another in the future. Kind of wondering if I shouldn't go for something simpler like a Rans to just get a feel for building an airplane, or if I should go all-out and do an RV-10. I know I'll eventually want a XC cruiser, but I know I'll also want something for landing in fields and such eventually as well.
Tell us about your mission. If you will always travel with 3-4 people then an RV-10 is a good choice. If you fly a lot by yourself or with one other person, then the RV-14 is your bird.

Lots of people have built an RV-10 or RV-14 as their first aircraft, and I know you are smarter and more capable than at least one of them!

Mission

So I have 2 missions, one would be a nice comfortable XC flyer that can get me and the family from TX to AL to see my in-laws. This is the mission I was looking at the -10 for. We currently only make this trip once or twice a year at the most, and we typically drive it. (LONG DRIVE) I do see us doing this more in the future, mostly because the in-laws aren't getting any younger. The one thing that concerns me about this is I don't know how often it would actually get used to haul more than just me solo.

The second mission, which would likely be used MUCH more than the first is a plane capable of mid distance XC, but capable of just putting around looking at crops.

These 2 are completely night and day differences, and probably can't be met by one aircraft. Wondering if I shouldn't build to the 2nd mission first since I'll actually use it more, and as my kids (4,6) get older I can build the -10 as we will probably be travelling more the older they get.

Answer...

Getting back to the OP's question of tools.

All of the kits will need similar tools except the -12 which uses many Pull Rivets. The kits involve drilling - dimpling - squeezing - riveting/bucking - composite finishing - painting etc.

See the detailed list of tools from Van's below:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/3-3/

Lots of variations maybe, but that's the basics

Now maybe I can get this back off track and ask Do you plan to prime? Fixed or CS prop? Avionics choice? Electrical system ? Mission? Tailwheel or nosegear? Slider or Tipper... ? :confused: Let the wars begin!