skyfrog

Well Known Member
Happy New Year Y?all?

After several months, I have purchased just about every tool I imagined using on my RV-9A project. (Yes, I decided on the 9 after all).

I just tried out my DRDT-2?I can?t say enough about this Christmas Present. It?s my most prized tool. Simply Wonderful!

Drill Press was half off at Home Depot, the bulk of the tools were purchased discounted from the classifieds on this website, and additional items, like my rivet squeezer were from EBay.

In addition, I build two EAA 1000 workbenches, the table for the DRDT-2 and got my workshop area ready for building.

Now the real problem?I don?t know how to use half the tools I got.

Don?t get me wrong, I?m able to figure most of this out, like the speeds on the drill press and air tools, etc. But I have no experience on Rivet Squeezers and there is one tool I still don?t know its purpose.

So what is my next step?

I am in the process of building Van?s sample kit. My first rivets went better than expected, but one was a bit over hit and another under hit. Not bad for my first try.

Then I tried to squeeze the under hit one with my CP214 squeezer and totally warped the project plate. I still don?t know what went wrong, and I did it twice. I also bugged up the drilling out of a rivet, enlarging the hole and other mistakes. I?m soooo glad this was not the real thing, or I?d be sick right now.

Help!!!!

I tried to attend the Alexander class, but my boss canceled my vacation at the last minute and I missed out on the class. Perhaps I?ll try again this year. I also thought about the EAA workshop on riveting.

Suggestions are welcomed. Also, if there is anyone in the Tampa Bay, FL area, please stop by on the weekends and let me know what the heck that tool is used for?

Thanks,

John Edwards
N5806L ? KCOI/KVDF
RV-9A Wanna-Be
Tools Ready
Workshop Ready

:confused:

no worries

if it helps alleviate your concern, you'll still balls up on a rivet every now and then. haven't counted how many rivets I've installed so far, but I will say that I'm pretty good at drilling out ones that are "unacceptable" (or whatever euphemism you choose). a local builder can surely offer some OJT - - you have the tools, so the hard part is behind you!! don't give up.

Simple, take an EAA builder's course. I took one in Lakeland and it helped immensely. Not only will you learn how to use the tools, it will give you the confidence to know that you can do it.

Don't fret

I was the same way when I started, too. Just begin building at a pace you're comfortable with. As you come to a task that makes you think "if only I had a tool to do this...", then look in your tool box - it'll probably be there. I remember that I had a strange looking tool which apparently had no use - until I needed to cut a rivet down. (I think the tool is called a "rivet cutter". Go figure!)

Each completed task leads to a part. Assembled parts lead to subassemblies. One day you'll put them all together and go flying!

Good luck! :D
Fred
magaref "at" hayscisd.net
-9A wings

Practice

I'm just a little ahead of you. I bought both practice projects. The tool kit was first, learned that 80# on a rivet gun with AND3 rivets is overkill and will dent metal if out of control. The squeezer was pretty easy to get used too. I did purchase an adjustable set to make the setup easier. I noticed that the squeezer will slam together if you rapidly depress the lever, try squeezing the trigger at a slower rate. Maybe some other seasoned guys can comment on their experience.

I did better on the control surface, but made a few mistakes there also. Definitely not happy with the straightness of the trailing edge, so I'll pay more attention to this detail next time around. I drilled out a few rivets, the flush are pretty easy, the 470's are a pain.

I'll be riveting the HS tomorrow, the priming is almost done, I'll practice on some scrap pieces first to get the rhythm down and will try and squeeze and back rivet as many as possible.

I've been arranging and rearranging my workshop space twice so far, never seems to be enough surface area. You will want a lot of small item storage bins. I have cases with handles that work well, I fit the small parts for the empennage in a case of about 20 spots. So far it's working well in the assembly process.

I would have liked to find a workshop close to the NE, but so far nothing is scheduled close enough time or distance. I bought some extra pieces of aluminum and am using the extra rivets to practice techniques. A local builder has offered to come over to help with initial riveting, so I'm taking him up on that, hopefully this will save replacing parts.

Here is what I'd suggest:

- Take a builders class, I'd like to, but none are close enough yet.
- Practice as much as you can.
- Plan and set up how and if you are going to prime. I've decided on the process and now am thinking on how to make this process more efficient and safe. (BTW, several of the PPG MP epoxy paints do not have the isocyanates, the only one that I'm aware of without the nasty stuff)
- Organize how you will store your parts and completed components.
- Have fun !!!

Order the EMP!

Take the dive and get it ordered. Many of your questions will be answered after the boxes show up. There is no rush to build it, you will start building when things make sense and you slowly become more comfortable.

-Ron

Alexander Tech Center class is great.

I can't say enough good things about the ATC class. If you really want to jump start your project, learn a lot, avoid mistakes and build a high quality empennage, then ATC is the way to go.

Rick_A said:
I can't say enough good things about the ATC class. If you really want to jump start your project, learn a lot, avoid mistakes and build a high quality empennage, then ATC is the way to go.

I concur on the quality and the learning experience you will get at ATC. I would like to point out that after checking their website recently, ATC has changed their pricing structure, where after a certain number of hours they start charging by the hour. When I built my empennage at ATC, there was just me and one other guy who was building an -8. We started at 0800 on Monday morning and finished-up around noon on Sunday! A total of six 12 hour days and another 4 hours to finish up. YMMV, but plan accordingly. There could be temptation to rush your project through. Also, ATC states that your completed empennage won't fit in a car for the trip home, but if you have a car like a Camry or similar (mine was a Malibu) where the rear seat folds down and you can recline the front pax seat, the whole thing will fit just fine. The HS on a -7 is 100" long by about 4" thick by about 24" wide at the center, tapering at the ends. If this will fit in your car then you can plan on driving your project home.

All good advice so far...I'd add the following:
- Just order it!
- Try to find a local builder who can come over to show you a few things and/or take a look at your work
- Build slowly at first, and if you cannot find any local experts, post questions here if you get stuck. Attach digital photos if at all possible.

Since you're building a 9, the most critical piece of advice I can give is: start with the VS, not the HS. The VS is much much easier and will give you a more gentle place to practice your new skills.

Good luck!

Yes, attend a builder's workshop if you can, but there are other resourses:

Check out the RV Builder's White pages at http://www.vansairforce.net/db/RVWPcode/rvwp.asp to find other builders in your area. I see 4 listed in the Tampa area (is that different from Tampa Bay?), plus lots of builders elsewhere in FL. Probably some in nearby towns, also. These aren't the only RV builders in FL, just the ones who chose to be listed, so there are lots of others in your area. You'll easily find someone who can help you get started.

Check out your local EAA chapter. Here's the Tampa chapter: http://www.eaa175.org/. There are probably folks there who can get you started. They can probably put you in touch with a technical counselor (also see http://eaa.org/chapters/programs/technical_counselors.asp) and you should get acquainted with one anyway to check your work a few times as you build.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice...

I?m definitely going to one of the training classes, either ATC or EAA, but I?m not sure which one yet.

Things are progressing slowly, but I?m not giving up by any means. Slow steady progress!!! It took me months for the tool gathering and workshop preparation, but I?m ready to order?too bad the prices just went up, rats.

I think I figured out my rivet squeezer problem. I should have used two flat dies instead of one rounded one. But I?m not sure if I need to adjust it so that closes completely, or just short, allowing for the metal thickness.

By the way, I think I figured out my mystery tool?a nibbler.

John
Workshop - Ready
RV-9A ? Dreaming

For dimpling, I adjust the squeezer so the dies are tight with each other with no metal between them.

Here's why I do this: I took a strip of aluminum, drilled about 16 holes in it, and dimpled the holes with different gaps between the dies, 4 adjacent holes each gap, ranging from just touching the metal to tight when there was no metal between the dies. Loose dies produced quite a curve in the metal strip, and the tighter the dies, the less of a curve. Tight dies produced little or no curve. Obviously, if a curve results from dimpling, there must be some distortion. I suspect tight dies force the metal to stretch when dimpled allowing the surrounding metal to stay flat. I don't know for sure; all I know is there is less distortion.