py2kjr

I'm New Here
I am giving serious consideration to building an rv-7. Is there a list of tools that i will need for the emp? I do not wish to spend $2000+ on tools and then decide that this project isn't for me and lets face it alot of the tools aren't exactly usefull unless your building a plane.

The empennage includes most if not all of the types of fabrication and assembly tasks that are throughout the kit - and therefore requires the same tools.

You could save a lot of money by leaving off the most common "productivity enhancer" tools, such as: pneumatic drill, C-frame, rivet squeezer. But if you do that the emp is going to take longer and not be nearly as enjoyable. It would probably give you a skewed impression of the project. You might be able to get by with something like this (in addition to an electric drill and regular tools most homeowners have around):

Rivet gun + mushroom set + universal set
bucking bar
drill bits
"clecos" (temporary fasteners) + cleco pliers
pop rivet dimpler + dies
aviation snips
countersink + microstop cage

I think most folks would find that miserable, though.

If you are really that much on the fence, you might want to consider building the empennage at one of the weekend technical classes that are available, where tools are supplied.

Used tools move pretty quickly on the VAF classifieds, so if you decide it's not for you there is a ready market - and that's also a good place to build your tool kit at less than new prices.

I was in the same boat as you were a few months ago, and have been piecing together tools as I needed them with the empennage.

While, I have spent some time on eBay and surfing various tool manufacturers sites for the best deals, I've basically ended up with what is in the Cleveland starter tool kit, plus a little. I generally only order a tool when I really think I'll need it. Here's my list, and I feel comfortable finishing the rest of the empennage with these:

Air Compressor - 26 Gallon, 4 CFM, 1.5 HP
Air Drill - Northern Industrial ? 3/8in, 1800 RPM, 4 CFM, Revers, Keyless
Northern Industrial Air Hose ? 1/4in. x 35ft., Clear, Urethane
Air Lube
Air tool Couplings
Chicago Pneumatic 4x Rivet Gun
Flush Sets
AN470 Rivet Sets
Bucking Bar
Edge Deburr Tool
11-Piece Complete Squeeze Set
3/16" Set Holder Adjustabe Ram Hand Squeeze 3" Yoke
K Series Spring Cleco 3/32" (0-1/4")
K Series Spring Cleco 1/8" (0-1/4")
Cleco Pliers with Grip New
#30 High-Speed Jobber Bit - 135 degee Split Point
#40 High-Speed Jobber Bit - 135 degee Split Point
Auto Center Punch Large
12" Drill Bit High Speed #30 AED
12" Drill Bit High Speed #40 AED
Dimple Die Set 3/32" Male/Female
Dimple Die Set 1/8" Male/Female
Bench Grinder
Vixen File
Right Snips
Self Etching Primer
Scotchbrite pads
Fluting Pliers
Microstop Countersink Cage
5-Piece Set 100 degree Countersinks # size (7/16")
Side-Grip Clecos Clamps 1/2" New
Side-Grip Clecos Clamps 1" New
#21 Cobalt Jobber Bit - 135 degee Split Point
#12 Cobalt Jobber Bit - 135 degee Split Point
POP RIVET DIMPLERS - 3/32"
3/32" TANK DIES (optional)
EXTRA LONG DOUBLE OFFSET BACK RIVET SET
6" SCOTCHBRITE CUTTING AND POLISHING WHEEL
Permagrit SANDING BLOCK FLAT 280mm x 51mm course/fine
C-Frame

I waited on the scotchbrite wheel, Permagrit block, and c-frame. The scotchbrite wheel is pretty mandatory for finishing edges; I should have ordered it from the beginning. The permagrit block is a luxury, but I'll probably never use a file on an edge again. Highly recommended, and doesn't leave the file marks a regular file does. Also, don't try to use the pop-rivet dimple dies on the whole skin. I made it through 5 holes before realizing that the spring back dimple dies form a great dimple, while the pop-rivet dies let the rivet head sit a little proud.

I'm up to $973 for the above stuff after bargain hunting.

Good luck.

Locate and join your local EAA group. Get to a meeting and meet some other builders. You may be able to borrow tools or take your parts to their shop and learn a bunch.