Daniel S.

Well Known Member
This is a very light hearted post... So don't get on my case :D... Can some one please tell the folks over at Van's to change their cost estimator thiny at least for the tools section? ;) I just tool a glance at my costs log (bad idea) :rolleyes: I have a little over $4300.00 in aircraft tools already and i'm only 2/3rds of the way through the emp. :eek: This doesn't include shop tools like compressor, band saw, drill press bench grinder etc... It definately dosen't take into account remodeling my shop and the flat screen / internet tv etc. You never stop buying tools throughout the build so I think the should raise it from 2k to about $5,500.00. I might be an exception to the rule because I like having convenience tools and the "what if" tools. There is no way 2k is realistic for most builders... I'm just saying...

So admit it!!!

You , like me, are a 'tool guy". I really think that he or she who dies with the most useful tools wins! So buy on and enjoy having the right tools for the project.

You will be told here that Van's features the 'lightest, simplest, fastest, etc., --- that is their philosophy and that works very well. You will also be told that some people can build an RV with clecos, pliers, and a hammer but you don't have to believe that. I don't buy the 'best tools' but mine will last the rest of my life and maybe the lives of any children who choose to build an airplane. So build on and enjoy.:cool:

I don't want to know

I stopped counting at $6K. There is always that "one more tool" that "needs" to be bought. Of course, I can justify each and every one. I really needed three drills, really I did.

hahaha

And dont forget, when you build the second plane, the tool cost is FREE:D

Nice one Mike! If you amortize the tool costs across a fleet of homebuilt planes, and include regular maintenance savings (over renting tools), you come out ahead! pennies on the dollar!:D funny..

And....I could never imagine selling any of my aircraft tools, even if I'm not building later. The idea of parting with tools just activates this immediate twitch in my brain. :D :p

It's obviously a serious addiction and there is no 12 step program. Maybe some government agency will provide us a regular payment so that we can wean ourselves over the next few years

Tools are an investment! When I bought my first house with a garage I also got a basic set of tools along with a rolling tool chest. Probably spent less than $1000 at the time. That set of tools has done countless repairs on houses, cars and now an airplane. A couple of simple brake jobs and I'm in the black on that initial investment. Every home improvement job that requires a new or specialized tool is cheaper when you can do it yourself. When I started the RV project, the specialized tools I bought for metal working and riveting have already saved me some money in recent repairs of our washer and dryer.

There is no such thing as too many tools!:D

Yea and verily, brother!

I had a great collection prior to starting. And used e-bay to fill it out (first by making my own list.) There were two positives to the e-bay approach.

1) Cost
2) I got WAY more tools than you get in the commercial kits. Still have bags of new drill bits. There are even a couple of tools I have never figure out what they are.

SOOOO..... Even with this mass of my tools, my dads tools (inherited sadly) and the e-bay stuff, the act of splitting the set for home shop and hangar has been very painful. I NEED MORE TOOOOOOOLSS. Arh arh arh...

I'm definitely a tool whore, I'll freely admit. I started out with a fairly well-stocked "handyman garage" but spent around $5k or thereabouts on aircraft-specific tools. I bought all the stuff that I knew I would need, and some stuff that was recommended by a few people, and used almost all of it. Some stuff that I thought I would never need (like a rivet fan) turned out to be extremely handy, while others that I thought I would use all the time (strap hole duplicator and chip chasers) never got used at all.

Once the plane flies, none of it will be for sale - I don't get rid of tools that I might need again. My kids can figure out what to do with anything they don't have a use for once I'm comfortably dead and buried.

I also don't pay attention to the cost of the build - it's not like I'm going to stop at some magic dollar point becuase it has suddenly become too expensive - I'm committed at this point and it's going to fly no matter how many more dollars I have to throw at it!:D

Amen

it's not like I'm going to stop at some magic dollar point becuase it has suddenly become too expensive - I'm committed at this point and it's going to fly no matter how many more dollars I have to throw at it! - Airguy

My name is Mike and I'm a toolaholic.

Not yet mentioned, but the tool investment can be pretty well recouped when you are done if you are so inclined. I am keeping all mine, since I may bend some part of it and need them to repair it.