GA FTEs

Im part of a small group starting the endeavor of building an RV-12. First aircraft build for all four of us. We're currently in the process of purchasing the kit, as well as all the tooling required. Our main caveat at the moment is that all of our purchases need to be made by the end of the year (for budgetary reasons). This being said, were trying to look ahead and think of everything we'll possibly need upfront so that weren't not out of luck down the road (when the need for something we don't have arises). Looking for recommendations on tooling kits (Avery, etc) as well as suggestions on things not typically included in tooling kits (air compressor, bandsaw, etc). As we are all new to this, any other general suggestions about RV-building are welcome.

You can call Avery tool and Bob can give you a good list. I will start others can add too it.

A pneumatic rivet puller
A small band saw
A small table top sander
A good battery powered drill and extra batteries.
A rivet squeeze with dies.
Screw driver set
Wrenches, 1/4 thru 11/16.
Aluminum tubing flare tool
Nut plate drill tool
A couple of small bucking bars
rivet gun
100 # 30 clecos
100 #40 clecos
Cleoco pliers
Dimple dies
Rubber mallet
Compressor with regulator
Flashlight and mirror
Magnet on a stick
Lots of #30 and #40 drill bits
One 12" bit for AN3 bolts.
Full frig of Miller Light for after build reflection
Bottle of Advil.

Last edited:
You can call Avery tool and Bob can give you a good list. I will start others can add too it.

A pneumatic rivet puller
A small band saw
A small table top sander
A good battery powered drill and extra batteries.
A rivet squeeze with dies.
Screw driver set
Wrenches, 1/4 thru 11/16.
Aluminum tubing flare tool
Nut plate drill tool
A couple of small bucking bars
rivet gun
100 # 30 clecos
100 #40 clecos
Cleoco pliers
Dimple dies
Rubber mallet
Compressor with regulator
Flashlight and mirror
Magnet on a stick
Lots of #30 and #40 drill bits
One 12" bit for AN3 bolts.
Full frig of Miller Light for after build reflection
Bottle of Advil.

I didn't need bucking bars, rivet gun or a band saw. Did need a small drill press & bench grinder with scotchbrite wheel. I'd also highly recommend a really good rivet squeezer. After I got my Cleaveland Main Squeeze, reliably squeezing rivets turned from hard to easy.

tools

as far as rivet sqeezer..make sure it has deep thoat...as far as rivet guns, make sure the trigger adjusts thrust..or it is hard not to deform rivet..air drill are great as they instantly go without running out of juice..long drills are great for tough quarters, number 30 and number 40.. and last but not least a ninety degree drill motor for short quarter drilling and two drill with 1/4 28 ..a number 40 and number30..best that I can offer from my build so far...Dick

I'll go with Tom on the Main Squeeze from Cleaveland. I buy tool sets for groups of kids, and the Cleaveland is all they will use (if they have a choice.) 22 lb force vs. 70 on a 1/8" inch rivet. Other than that, you need two of each of the frequently used hand tools (cleco pliers, deburring tools, etc.) and sometimes more. These are cheap. Cleaveland and Avery are the go-to choices for most VAFers. Also, you need many more 1/8" clecos, I think they recommend 350, and only 50 3/32". No gun or bucking bars. There are other drill bits you will need, but both suppliers have a list for the 12. Great choice for a first build! Good luck, and keep us informed.

There were two guys who built one in 29 days in Cincinnati, so you guys should be flying well before Thanksgiving;)
Bob

Thanks so much for the response! I will start putting together a list of the necessaries with regards to tools. Please, keep the suggestions coming if you have them :)

Are there any other items outside of tools (beer and advil) that should be considered? For instance: measuring devices (outside of tape measure?), levels, squares, etc.?

Are there any consumable items that are a must have for this build?

We're really starting from the bottom up here, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again!

Consumables:

Blue painters tape
Box of latex gloves
Dust mask
Drill bits
Box knife
West system resin and hardener
Paper mix cups
Micro balloon
Fiberglass cloth
Sanding disc for high speed

I'm sure there is more.

Look on the bright side: you have free license to fill two shopping carts at Harbor Freight! Even my wife understood that argument!😄

Thanks for the help!

After considering all of your suggestions and visiting some other RV builders, we have bought the necessary tools for our RV12 project. The golden rivet has been squeezed with the suggested Cleaveland Main Squeeze and we are now underway with the build!

Thanks again for all your help.