nippaero

Well Known Member
I am researching tool kits while I wait for my kit to arrive. Does anyone have experience with the planetools.com kit?

Mike,

I bought a kit from Avery for my -7. I'm into the fuselage and have used almost every thing included in the kit. Of course, I've added items...too many to mention... from Avery, Lowes, Sears, Northern Tool and others. Tools are fun. Hard to hide from the other half tho. The tools from Avery have all been high quality, but others suppliers have been favorably mentioned also.

Good luck,
David

Thanks Mark. Those posts were helpful. I did a side by side comparison of the kit with Avery's. Adding the DRDT and Pneumatic Rivet Squeezer to Avery etc. They are pretty close except for a few minor (to me) differences. Avery also comes with a few extra items like books, files and angle drill attachment.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ptwLnOOfiu1Hs8nu8Ib49UA

These are prices quoted to me and you may experience something different.

Avery quoted with shipping $2998. The 3/32 clecos are backordered and DRDT is about 2-3 weeks out. This price was including the cheaper CP drill and Pneumatic squeezer like the one from planetools.com.

Sean at Isham gave me lot's of pointers and a 10 minute lesson on dimpling and threw in some extra's at no charge and came in at $2463 with shipping. All parts in stock and ready to ship the same day. Even the DRDT!

After speaking to both companies, the customer serivice was great. With a $500 difference, I have to go with the cheaper one from Isham. I think both companies are top notch though and will order from both of them in the future.

Avery

I've been very happy with Avery tools... very nice and prompt and they CARE... which is sometimes hard to find...
I'm sure there are a lot of other tools companies out there too that give good service... I've just stuck with Avery.
The guy at Klassic Tool Crib was nice too.. www.Klassictoolcrib.com
Best
Brian
(no experiece with planetools tool company though....sorry)

Last edited:
I have only good things to say about Sean at Isham tools (planetools.com). Great service, fast shipping, great prices. He'll take care of you after you buy your kit.

Gary Bricker

I am not aware of plane tools, but I do know how much Bob supports the RV world and that is worth the difference.

Isham

After reading several threads and the posts here I just placed an order for the RV tool kit from planetools. I screwed up the order then had to resubmit so I gave him a call. After straightening my mess out, he said they would try to get my order shipped tomorrow.

looking forward to the new tools...

I have had nothing but excellent service from Shaun @ PlaneTools.com (a.k.a Isham Inc). He was always ready with advice, very accomodating whilst chopping and changing my order and shipped promptly after I finally settled on my modified version of his RV toolkit. Highly recommended!

Ebay?

I'm confident that most common RV tool suppliers will provide a good value. However, you can beat them with a little research.

When I started, 2 years ago, I compared the Vans recommended tool list and the content list of 3 common toolkit suppliers. I made a common list that had EVERYTHING and then went shopping on ebay. It took 3 purchases that totalled less than $1200 overall in order to get way more than I needed (probably about twice the contents of the common tool kits. For instance, I have enough regular and threaded drill bits for multiple planes (My wife doesn't know this yet :D ) and darn near every diameter, a Tatco squeezer with a s**t load of different jaw sets. (Jaw geometry is more important than the pneumatic choice), and multiple air drills. I sold some unwanted duplicate tools to other local builders. This path allowed me to easily justify the DRDT-2 :).

ebay

I agree, good deals can be found on eBay. I have tons of drill bits and quite a few tools off of ebay.

As with anything, you have to do a bit of research beforehand though. I was looking for a touchup paint gun and found that many of the ones on ebay were the exact same ones that can be picked up at Harbor Freight for less than half the going eBay price (item price +shipping charges).

Price is only part of the equation. I bought tools from both Avery and Planetools, and the tools I got from Avery are of a higher quality, in general. Specifically, my planetools spring back dimple dies keep slipping out of the squeezer and c-frame during use. I have a set of tank dies from Avery and they hold firm. Basically, I've never bought a piece of junk from Avery. To me, the assurance of quality is worth the extra cost because I know I won't be cussing out my tools when I use them.

A wise man once said: "The pain of poor quality is remembered long after the pleasure of low price is forgotten."

Dave

PlaneTools...No Problems

I have the Plane Tools RV tool kit with pneumatic squeezer and DRDT2. I am new at this but just finished the HS and have had no problem with the tools.

John