mzcontrails

I'm New Here
I understand that a person's tools are an individual choice, but in these times I just would like your opinions on the "best bang for the buck" tool kits available to build an RV-7A. I'm a wood worker and understand that a quality tools win every time...

* Avery is a long time favorite. No "bling" just the good solid tools required.

* Cleveland looks like a solid kit and includes their upgraded hand squeezer and Sioux air drill.

* Isham looks good also, yet is offering the DRDT-2 Dimpler and a Pneumatic rivet squeezer.

All kits are similar in parts and quality. I just don't know if the DRDT-2 or the Sioux drill are worth having me choose one company over the next. Any personal experience with these companies would be greatly appreciated. Will order tool and empennage kit prior to the New Year.

Welcome to VAF

I like working with the folks at Avery. Good tools, good service.

Last edited:
I went with Ishams as well. You WILL NOT be sorry! The guys over there have gone well out of there way to take care of me and I am 110% satisfied! :) So much so, that I even endorsed Ishams on my website.

Different perspective

and more affordable I think.
You can use many tools you already have for your hobbies ( RC, woodwork etc.) Supplement them buying the best from all three tool houses. Couple hours of homework could save you a thousand on tools purchase.
Just my personal opinion.

examples please?

and more affordable I think.
You can use many tools you already have for your hobbies ( RC, woodwork etc.) Supplement them buying the best from all three tool houses. Couple hours of homework could save you a thousand on tools purchase.
Just my personal opinion.

Vlad,
I have accumulated woodworking, plumbing, electrical, and automotive type tools for many years prior to starting the RV build. Many of these tools will be used in the RV build (e.g. belt sander, band saw, bench grinder, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.), but I didn't have anything in my existing tool arsenal that came in the RV tool kits that I looked at (except for some drill bits). There are differences in the kits, but I don't see how you can save $Thousand without buying "basement bargain" junk. No flame intended, but I did spend several hours comparing several venders kits with Van's suggested tool list and don't see how I could have saved $1000.

<SNIP>

All kits are similar in parts and quality. I just don't know if the DRDT-2 or the Sioux drill are worth having me choose one company over the next. Any personal experience with these companies would be greatly appreciated. Will order tool and empennage kit prior to the New Year.

It looks you are are comparing "standard" kits which may be misleading you in a decision. The DRDT-2 is made by a separate company and is available from all three tool vendors, and I don't think there is much variation in pricing. Same goes for the Sioux air drill.

I know it is true for Cleaveland, and possibly true for the others, that if you buy "enough" tools at once, they will give you a kit discount even though you have made significant additions, deletions, or substitutions. It is not as if the listed "kits" are set in stone. Think of it like the "value meal" at Wendy's, as long as you buy the burger and soda you can have fries, chili, or salad for the side dish.

Also, the kits tend to be designed for folks who have no tools whatsoever and therefore include many small items that you could procure locally, probably for less money. Example: Scotch tape dispenser, Sharpie permanent markers, dimple die storage block (which is really just a board with holes in it), aviation snips, etc.

For example, when I bought my Cleaveland kit I substituted a DRDT-2 dimpler for the C-frame, which added some cost. But then I eliminated some of the small items to bring the total down a bit.

I don't think you'll be sorry with any of those kits. And if you can afford the extra cost of the DRDT-2 or pneumatic squeezer, you won't regret getting them.

OK Don I stay corrected

Probably a grand of savings is too much. But there is a good savings for starter builder. Now I am smiling at myself realizing how negligible tool cost is in general comparing to airplane stuff in long run.

Good point

Probably a grand of savings is too much. But there is a good savings for starter builder. Now I am smiling at myself realizing how negligible tool cost is in general comparing to airplane stuff in long run.

In the grand scheme of things tools are a small cost, but can make a huge difference in quality of build. I think one way to save money on tools is to join a local EAA chapter and borrow or rent tools from other builders that are expensive but not used much. Examples are: 37* flaring tool, electrical tools, scales, instrument hole tools etc. I know one EAA chapter that has a huge tool crib for loaning to their members.

Thanks so much for all the comments, input, suggestions.. If these companies were selling inferior or incomplete kits, I'm sure they would have been called on it by now. I have printed out all 3 kits and have gone over and over them and all I could come up with was all would work fine. I sleep in a bed I built as a woodworker and I plan on doing acro in the airplane I build (ex Blue Angel) so quality matters. I tell people I do woodworking project for "I'm not a professional, but I am a perfectionist" and that's how I'm approaching this wonderful project. Thanks all for you inputs..:)

Isham Kit

"I'm not a professional, but I am a perfectionist" and that's how I'm approaching this wonderful project. Thanks all for you inputs..:)

That is the same thought process I had when looking for my tools.

I was looking for the most complete kit and it appears that the general consensus was Isham. Everyone rants and raves how wonderful their DRDT-2 and pneumatic squeezer's are, so I went with the popular vote.

Isham kit comes with top notch quality tools. Snap-on, Klein, Tatco, Sioux. The way I see it, you must start with quality tools to build a quality aircraft. I was not going to run the chance of buying cheap tools. The end result, you get what you pay for.

Not only is their kit top notch, but the company is as well. I had constant contact through telephone, and e-mail. E-mails, most if not all, were same day response. They catered to my different payment method, gave me a wicked deal on shipping and honored an old shipping quote when the price went up!

The kit comes very well labeled, and is packaged very well. The 100% guarantee, and lowest price guarantee is a tough one to beat too. Don't like what you have? Send it back. Want to try a X3 vs a X4? ... Get both, try them and send one back. Purchased a pneumatic squeezer and need a manual one? Have one sent on loan ...

I haven't heard of many companies that do that.

Edit: Oh one more thing. The majority of Isham tools carry a LIFETIME GUARANTEE!

Last edited:
Re-reading my invoice and taking a closer look....

Isham also throws in Freebies! Right on, I love free stuff!

I bought Isham's/Plane Tools

I wanted the ease of a pneumatic and and DRDT-2... once I knew that the choice was simple when compared.

I've yet to regret it. When I thought something was amiss, Isham answered the phone. He usually educated me on what I had and how to use it. If he was off, he very quickly fixed it. He even threw in an extra free set of cleco pliers for my trouble.

Weeks later, He checked in on me and my progress. When I asked him what sort of nails he used for the pop rivet dimple die (I ground one of them down to get in a very tight spot), he mailed me, free of cost multiple extras.

What more could a guy say about a 'company'.

How about: Very Satisfied

check out my review: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=35512

Last edited:
avery

I bought Avery and love them. I'm also a wood worker (in the past). But the other companies are probably just as good.