tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
The instructions that come with the vetterman exhaust indicate that most wrenchs cannot be used to install it and that snap-on makes some kind of 1/4 in drive swivel socket that works. No part number for that socket was supplied.

What tool have you guys used to tighten the nuts that attach the exhaust?

Any advice about how to torque it? I would have to use an adapter or two on my torque wrench which would throw off the readings, if I used a 1/2 inch drive socket.

I picked up a set of 1/4" drive flex sockets at Sears. If I remember correctly the size is 1/2"? It worked very well. I also picked up a 3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter so I could use my torque wrench.

thanks

Thanks Mike,

You are correct, it is 1/2 in. I am pleased to hear that sears has what I need since there is a sears store nearby.

Tony

Buy 2 more...

Yes... and a 12 inch long 1/4 inch drive extension will also help. This will keep stuff pretty square and no torque wrench correction should be needed.

While you are buying the Sears flex sockets, pick up the 3/8 and 7/16 size ones too... then you will have over 90% of your RV nuts covered...:)

gil A - when you need that flex socket, nothing else will do...:)

Yes... and a 12 inch long 1/4 inch drive extension will also help. This will keep stuff pretty square and no torque wrench correction should be needed.

I have a quick question and this just might be me being dumb, but...

If you are using a flex socket with a torque wrench, is there a correction applied based on the angle that the flex socket is at when torquing?

Timely

Wow I just got my Vetterman Exhaust this week and saw the part about the swivel socket. I looked at the Sears site today for the 1/4 socket set.

Thanks Gil for the tip on the 12 inch extension.

I will get some of the Mouse Milk that Larry suggests for the ball joints as well as the exhaust studs.

If you are using a flex socket with a torque wrench, is there a correction applied based on the angle that the flex socket is at when torquing?

I was just watching that video I made about this process and didn't remember that I brought this up. As I understand it, the correction would be applied if the adapter extends parallel -- not perpendicular -- to the shaft of the wrench. And this makese sense, adding a perpendicular extension doesn't increase the lever action (ease) of turning things, while increasing the shaft does (like using a small screwdriver vs a 6 foot long steel pipe to pry up a rock in the ground).

Now, technically, there may be about a 1/4" extension by virtue of using the swivel (or probably less). Just calculating the formula in my head, the different in torque setting would be pretty small. With a 100-140 inch pound spread in the desired torque, I don't think I even bothered officially calculating it, I just set it on the low side of that range.

YMMV