jbagley

Well Known Member
So, I can't be the first builder to have this problem...

I have a flying RV at the airport in a hangar where the majority of my tools are and I have an RV under construction at home. I have slowly been moving my smaller tools into individual tool boxes for easy transportation. But, I can't see dragging drill presses and band saws around...

I find myself doing some work at home and some at the hangar (where I have more space).

Would like to buy an inexpensive drill press and band saw. Any recommendations in the $100-$300 range for a bench top band saw and/or drill press? Most of the online reviews for these lower end units appear to be woodworkers.

Thanks!

Try Craigslist too

I was able to get a Grizzly G0555 for $200 by monitoring Craigslist and waiting for a good deal. It's been great, and much nicer than a tabletop model.

I am happy with the line of Ryobi benchtop tools that I bought at Home Depot.

Band saw, drill press, belt sander.

Each cost just over a hundred dollars.

Any bench-top will do...

I think any bench-top band saw will work pretty well with a decent blade in place. I have a cheapo from the depot and it works just fine with aluminum. Take it slower with the big stuff though..

The table top one I bought from Grizzly was awful. The blades were an odd size too. I don't think they sell that model any more which is good.

I have bought all my power tools from CPO outlet. They sell reconditioned tools with a warranty. Haven't had any problems and they shipped quickly. I got a 9" band saw for $89 and put a metal cutting blade on it.

10-inch Craftsman

I have been happy with the 10-inch Craftsman I bought about two years ago. It ran about $200. Since I replaced the blade with a bi-metal 14-tpi from Haltbar Sagen it cuts aluminum very well. Just don't cut steel or the blade will dull quickly.

John Harrell
Building RV7A fuselage, finishing kit ordered
http://www.johnsrv7a.wordpress.com

I received the 9" craftsman bandsaw as a gift. It has seen no use on the RV to date. It is basically useless. I think the 10" model is OK, but the 9" is just cheap. The frame flexes so bad that you can't put tension on the blade without it wondering off the reel. I don't even use it for cutting wood. Plus the blade is an odd-ball size that no one carries.

I received the 9" craftsman bandsaw as a gift. It has seen no use on the RV to date. It is basically useless. I think the 10" model is OK, but the 9" is just cheap. The frame flexes so bad that you can't put tension on the blade without it wondering off the reel. I don't even use it for cutting wood. Plus the blade is an odd-ball size that no one carries.

On that point...the Ryobi band saw that Home Depot sells does not sell the corresponding replacement length blade at my local HD store. I get the proper length blade from Sears....something to consider when purchasing.

Used Delta 3-Wheel

I found a great $75 deal on a used 28-560 Delta 3-wheel, 16" saw. It came with both wood cutting and the smaller (slower) belt drive for metal cutting. Deep throated, it will handle large pieces. It's short so it can be bench mounted, although I have it on a wheeled stand so I can position it for large out-feed tasks like skin trimming. With a quality bi-metal blade I can surgically cut anything I can hang onto. I have several bandsaws for woodworking and I love this thing the most. Worth looking for!

Speaking of blade sizes------I have fought that battle in the past, more than once.

Problem is that there are a dozen or more "common" blade sizes for benchtop saws.

I finally took an old blade that broke, and taped a short cardboard extension on it, placed it around the wheels, and marked where the end overlapped at the minimum, and maximum adjustment adjustment positions.

Remove the blade, lay it flat, and measure the length to each mark, and got a range of sizes that will fit my machine.

I then took a magic marker, and wrote it inside the cover.

Now, when I brake a blade, I have the size info available to find a replacement.

This really helps when you only need to replace a blade once a year or so.

Buy and keep a spare is also a good idea.

I have been happy with the 10-inch Craftsman I bought about two years ago. It ran about $200. Since I replaced the blade with a bi-metal 14-tpi from Haltbar Sagen it cuts aluminum very well. Just don't cut steel or the blade will dull quickly.

Ditto. Haven't needed anything more through the fuselage kit.