u need4

What is X 4?
open barrel -a, b, c, d, e, for Icom pins (molex)and more.
coax -hex crimper for u coax
dsub -pin & socket for Garmin, PS Engineering, and more
terminal -red, blue, yellow, for all them fastons, rings, and more
stein has a ratcheting one with changeable dies for the coax & terminal, and the others.
Mine is my Buchanan "pin pinchers" $2.50 Central Sales --Duluth

Last edited:
What is this, Alex?
crimper.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to bring the '80s into the discussion. :D

Couldn't Resist

What is a bridgeport? Easily put the bigest crimp in my budget!

bridgeport_retro.jpg

Last edited:
Could you narrow it down a bit? There are a zillion crimpers for different applications. Big wires? Small wires? D-sub pins? Molex pins? BNC connectors? Which one are you looking for?

Go to your local hamfest or swap meet

Most of the older ractcheting type crimpers are very good. I have found several different type (some with replaceable jaws) that do a very good job. The new ratcheting knockoffs are not as good but still beat the local automart.
A new one from Klein, AMP or some other source can run several hundread dollars. I usually find them for under $25 at swap meets with little wear.

B&C crimpers

PIDG Style Crimp Tool
left_img This 3-Pocket crimping tool features ratchet handles that capture a new terminal for one- handed operation in tight corners while insuring crimp dies fully close for consistent installations. One tool installs terminals for 10-22 AWG wire sizes. This quality import features machined pins at the hinge points retained with snap-rings . . . no riveted hinge joints
Price: $40.00 Stock #: RCT-1

This is the one I use most!!!

Bob,

Sprucemoose has a good point: what's your application? I've got three Sargent ratcheting crimpers - one for D-sub pins, one for PIDG connectors, one for RG-400/BNC connectors, a terminal tool for for large gage wire, and another crimper which came with a "Mate-n-lock" connector kit from Terminaltown!

The good thing about the Sargents is you can buy one crimp handle and interchangeable jaws if you're on a budget. (Who isn't?)

Sargent Crimpers: http://crawfordtool.com/sargent.html
The Terminal Tool: https://www.theterminaltool.com/
Mate-n-lock connector: http://terminaltown.com/Pages/Page41.html

I hope this puts you in the right direction! :D

Run of the mill 14-22 awg pidg-type crimping. One quesiton I have is whether I should buy a kind that you can swap out the heads (or whateve ryou would call it on) or a separate pair for each type.

But the question of what type is a good one because my next question is how MANY crimpers do people need?

Run of the mill 14-22 awg pidg-type crimping. One quesiton I have is whether I should buy a kind that you can swap out the heads (or whateve ryou would call it on) or a separate pair for each type.

But the question of what type is a good one because my next question is how MANY crimpers do people need?
the ratcheting crimper Stein sells as part of the master kit includes dies for all the pidg terminals 12-22 i think and then also includes dies for the coaxial cables. The dies swap in and out real fast.