prkaye

Well Known Member
The instructions for my Sabre prop extension said to use Blue Loctite. Never having used the stuff, I just slopped a whole bunch on the threads. A local builder later told me that I should only have used a small amount (a few drops).
By putting too much loctite in these critical bolts, could I have created a danger? Or is the problem simply going to be that if I ever had to remove the extension it would be difficult?
Basically, can too much loctite actually weaken a torqued fastener?

Phil, I think that is one you should contact the factory about.

Personally, I dont see how it could affect the strength of the bolts, until you try to remove them that is.

Blue Loctite is an anaerobic adhesive, meaning it sets up when screwed together and air is excluded. By using "too much", you just have a lot of wasted fluid that didn't get into the joint between threads. The stuff in the joint will set up while the extra will not harden and will just drip off (or can be cleaned off with a rag). There is no risk to using too much, it will not make the parts harder to separate. As long as it doesn't drip onto or get into some adjacent component (alternator?) where it could set up and wreak havoc you will be fine.

Very enlightening...

Thanks Noah. Very interesting read. I'd recommend reading it as it has a lot of of useful information.

The comparison of steel vs stainless vs brass vs zinc dichromate was surprising. As was the note that said to heat up the piece to ~250 degC if needed.

<tongue and cheek>Great, another thing that ethanol affects!</tongue and cheek> - see page 2 in bottom right corner.