db8

Well Known Member
Hey guys. I have the newer Superior sump and put the Bendix RSA-5 fuel injection servo on today and the four studs that go into the sump are too long. I have to put four washers before the lock washer and nut to be able to tighten them. Then I have about 8 or nine threads sticking out. Without the washers, the nut will stop because I have run out of threads and there will be a lot of play in the servo.

I tried to do the double nut thing (tighten them together to lock and then back out), but it would not back it out. It would slip a little in the threads with a lot of applied pressure and I felt uncomfortable tightening any more, since they were very tight to begin with.

I then got some vise grips out and tightened them extremely tight on the non-threaded shank. Then I heated the stud and area in the sump with a torch and tried backing it out. The whole plane was moving and something inside of me felt like it might snap and break off, so I stopped.

It has been a year or so since the engine was put together, and I forgot if I used the blue or red locktite? I don't think I used the red.

Is it ok to use four washers as spacers on each stud? I don't think it would compromise any kind of safety issues? Or, does anybody else have an idea about getting the studs out without breaking one off (a nightmare scenario). Thanks for any thoughts on this matter. Dave

Mine has a phenolic (sp?) block about 1/4 inch thick between the servo and the sump. This block is the same size and shape as the gasket between the sump and the servo - I put one gasket on each side of the block.

Pat