:mad: As I progress through my empenage I made a stupid mistake, Tried to countersink the 8 holes on the HS-906 doubler using an undersized pilot. On one of the holes the rivet falls too deep on the hole and I fear I will need another doubler.

The rivet is in there about 0.040 too deep.

Is there any way to patch this up?

Would it be better to oder a new doubler?

Out of the 8 this is the only rivet with this issue.

Yes, I have been faced with the same problem. Fortunately (for me), it was not on a structural member, only a cosmetic issue. This is how I set the rivet:

1. Using a hand squeezer, squeeze a flush rivet of the same head size as the "offending" rivet. You may need to squeez some of different lenghts to ultimately get the one you will use in the next step. What you have just done is mushroomed-out the shank of the rivet and work hardened it. This rivet now becomes a "tool rivet".

2. Place the head of the "tool rivet" (upside down) against the head of the rivet that is deep in the countersunk hole. The tail of the "tool rivet" should stand proud of the countersunk / rivet installed hole. You will need to judge this distance for yourself, maybe 1/8 inch is the upper length.

3. Now, using the hand squeezer, squeeze the "tool rivet" into the "deep" rivet, keeping pressure on the squeezer and "tool rivet" to prevent the deep rivet from lifting out of the countersink hole.

4. At this point you are done. Throw away the "tool rivet". You should now have a properly set rivet in the bottom of the deep countersunk hole.

:mad: As I progress through my empenage I made a stupid mistake, Tried to countersink the 8 holes on the HS-906 doubler using an undersized pilot. On one of the holes the rivet falls too deep on the hole and I fear I will need another doubler.

The rivet is in there about 0.040 too deep.

Is there any way to patch this up?

Would it be better to oder a new doubler?

Out of the 8 this is the only rivet with this issue.

Hi,
I think the easiest repair would be simply to up size to the next larger diameter rivet (5/32") If the doubler is made from 6160-T6, you could also weld the hole closed and re countersink it. 6160-T6 is a weldable alloy. You are not allowed to weld 2024 T3, per AC 43-13b.
Charlie Kuss

Thanks for the reply

This makes me feel better. Right now I am facing a dimpling problem in that I tried to dimple (using the C frame) a hole that was not re-drilled to #40 and removed a small tab of metal that extends right at the edge of the dimple. I am having problems inserting an image but I will try here.

What di you think?

Last edited: