db8

Well Known Member
I have the green cowl and have a slightly larger gap than I want in one area (ie cut the fiberglass back too aggressively). Did a search to see what others have done. Seen it mentioned, but couldn't find suggested fixes.

It's a pretty thin area and the hinge is right next to it. Should I just try to rough it up a little (only .050 thickness) and use resin (West system) with a little micro balloons, flux too or what? I'm afraid anything I put on there will be prone to cracking or falling off. Has anybody had good luck adding anything that has held up? Thanks. Dave

Yup, that's the basic technique. I just helped my neighbor add almost an inch to his cowl. Here are some little tidbits for optimal results:

1) When you scarf the edge of your cowl, make sure you use a gradual scarf. One rule of thumb for composite repairs is about 1" per ply of fiberglass.

2) If you will be installing rivets or fasteners in the area, consider including some plies with +/-45 degree orientation as this will improve the bearing strength of the finished laminate.

3) Wax your aluminum or backing material so it releases easily from the cured fiberglass. Silicone-free wax is preferred so that silicone will not impede future repairs or paint.

Good luck!