eric_marsh

Well Known Member
I'm driving from central Texas to Grass Valley, CA with my cargo trailer, loading my RV and then driving back the other way. Looks to be almost 4k miles, round trip. Going to be a bit of a drive. Then the fun starts.

project?

must be a project? or did you damege it out there?
I know of a good deal on a RV6 in Georga, has flown, new Lycoming and Hartzel, taken apart for paint, builder lost tnterest.

Did the same thing..... 2400 miles one way

Flew out to Las Vegas. Picked up my -6A kit from my son who was too busy with flying C-17s everywhere, 737s for Alaska and a growing family to get it done this century. Converted a boat trailer to cargo. Used a surplus pickup truck of his and with the help of my brother in law truck driver, we did non stop in 38 hours to Jacksonville FL. Broken axle in Baton Rouge LA. Mobile welder has us back on the road in 4 hours. What an angel he was. Man, was I glad to get through Texas. That state never ends..... Got here, sold the pickup truck, donated the trailer to a local landscaper guy and now I am half done on my 6A.
Don't strap anything aluminum directly without a cushiion barrier of some sort. The vibrations will allow the strap to wear on the aluminum, forcing you to polish off the abrasion. Good luck on your trip. :)

Heroic Efforts make it good

I didn't do anything near as as long as you guys but my wife and I rented a 24' truck and drove our RV-6A kit from Portland through San Francisco and Los Angeles to Orange County non stop. Memorable! Builds commitment.

Bob Axsom

I'm bringing lots of blankets and boxes to protect things. I've got an 11' enclosed trailer on the back of my Dodge dualie.

Here's a picture of some of the parts that I'm picking up.

rv6kit 049.jpg

I am an hour or so away from Grass Valley, if you need anything while you are in the area, let me know.

Have a spare bedroom also.

I hauled a project from Az back here, used a flat bed trailer for the fuse on gear, and wings. I made a platform out of 1"x4" and 1/4" plywood in my truck/camper shell to create a "two story" setup, this gives twice the flat space to load small parts that might get damaged if piled all together.

SUNP0015.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
Mike,

Thanks for the offer. I've got relatives up there that will put me up. Do you know Larry (the fellow I'm buying from)? He said that there's a pretty good club in your area.

Eric

Eric, dont think I know him, but ???

These days I work much better with faces than names, side effect of getting old:confused:

This is probably the group he is talking about, I am not a member, but have attended some of their activities. Seems to be a good bunch.

http://sacrvators.com/

I'm bringing lots of blankets and boxes to protect things. I've got an 11' enclosed trailer on the back of my Dodge dualie.

Here's a picture of some of the parts that I'm picking up.

rv6kit 049.jpg

Looks like an early 6 kit (at least prior to about 1995).
You will be a member of the "I actually built an RV" fraternity other then just assembled one.
Have fun. Enjoy the experience.

RV 6X6 ???

I see four wingtips in the picture. Are you building a bi-plane?;)

Enjoy the experience. It's definately worth it!

Thanks for the kind thoughts gents. No I don't think it's a bi-plane. Larry said there's extra parts. Well I'm a hundred miles or so from El Paso heading west with Willie's Place on the XM radio. Seems kind of appropriate. It's pretty out here.

Hey Eric...

Wanted to thank you again for picking up my Phlogiston spar.

Yours will be waiting all primed and partially assembled in my hanagar :)

I'm driving from central Texas to Grass Valley, CA with my cargo trailer, loading my RV and then driving back the other way. Looks to be almost 4k miles, round trip. Going to be a bit of a drive. Then the fun starts.

Eric,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier! I'm not sure of your route, but if you find yourself around Tehachapi, CA (between Bakersfield and Mojave) and need help with anything, give me a shout. Can also offer a "bed and a bean" if required.

Mike, how'd you get the fuse on the trailer and over the wheel wells like that?

I am an hour or so away from Grass Valley, if you need anything while you are in the area, let me know.

Have a spare bedroom also.

I hauled a project from Az back here, used a flat bed trailer for the fuse on gear, and wings. I made a platform out of 1"x4" and 1/4" plywood in my truck/camper shell to create a "two story" setup, this gives twice the flat space to load small parts that might get damaged if piled all together.

SUNP0015.jpg

Good luck.

Take a good look at photo, look for the winch in front of the nose wheel.

The fenders have a ramp front and rear, so just a matter of hooking the winch up, and cranking. The trailer bed is wider in the back, same width as the fender-----narrows in front of the fender. There were ramps for the trailer also, to get it up on the bed.

As it came over the top of the fender, had myself and the seller hold back on the fuse to let it roll gently down the front ramp of the fender.

Piece of cake:D

Last edited:
I'm back and have RV parts spread all over my garage floor. I drove 4200 miles in four days.

I've got a three bay shop and there's hardly room to walk. Tomorrow Im going to start organizing and inventorying things and then I've got to put a new transmission in my V8 Fiero and then reinstall the engine to open up that bay. It's on an automotive lift that I think could be used as a basis for a jig.

Looks like I've got some work ahead of me.

I created a web site dedicated to my build at http://www.ericmarsh.info/Flying_With_Eric/Building_my_RV-6l. I've documented my California trip there and will try to update the site regularly.

Good Luck..........

on your project. I'll never forget transporting my RV6 project from north of Chicago in an old trailer. Quite an experience, but now well worth it. Changed my life forever. I understand another RV6 project will be starting up down the road from you in San Marcos.

Stay after it, you'll be flying before you know it.