Rick6a

Well Known Member
First attempt at making a video using a small inexpensive HD camcorder called the "Flip." About the size of a pack of cigarettes, the "Flip" has a two hour HD capacity and costs less than $200. Not bad. I used TinyPic to host but it took the site nearly 2 hours to upload and process the 5 minute video. After all that, for some reason TinyPic clipped the last few seconds off. Oh well.

http://tinypic.com/r/20755wm/3

Uploaded video to uTube. The site captured the entire footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV99wQqyb8g

Last edited:
Rick,

Great video.

I especially like the audio commentary right after you overfly the camera for your first landing (just before the middle of the video). Listen closely.

Beautiful airplane.

Thanks

My kind of flying video, just flying and native or natural audio. No rock music blaring out at you.

Thanks for the video.

My wife Linda was trying to film while at the same time restraining our beloved beagle "Bubba" straining on his leash. It wasn't easy. Next time, we'll leave him at home. :eek: Hey, the sound quality isn't bad for a cheapie camcorder. :D

First attempt at making a video using a small inexpensive HD camcorder called the "Flip." About the size of a pack of cigarettes, the "Flip" has a two hour HD capacity and costs less than $200. Not bad. I used TinyPic to host but it took the site nearly 2 hours to upload and process the 5 minute video. After all that, for some reason TinyPic clipped the last few seconds off. Oh well.

http://tinypic.com/r/20755wm/3

Obviously you were using a tripod as I find it hard to hold the small camera steady by hand? I have one too and really like it.

Obviously you were using a tripod as I find it hard to hold the small camera steady.....
Obviously. A tripod is mandatory. The 'Flip' is so small and light that holding it steady is practically impossible for most folks to achieve. In addition, I tried to shoot some footage inside the airplane.....I wanted to graphically document how easy it really is to slow down a fixed pitch equipped RV. A fellow pilot held the camcorder while I went through the sequence but the results were so jerky as to be totally useless. In addition, the ambient noise level was so loud it required me to shout to be barely heard and even then the result was nearly inaudible. To add music, the 'Flip' requires the MP3 format. I'm not much into music, been done to death in most videos but I see why people use it in their in-flight videos. The noise level in the cockpit would be irritating to anybody after just a few seconds. Eventually, I'd like to replace a music track with my own voice-over narration but that is beyond what I know how to do at the moment.​

Audio

Rick,

Most of the music, audio voice over, etc is done after the fact; so normally no need to have it in the camera. Use a post production tool (there are many) to do your editing and add audio later.

However, I agree with you that the music is sometimes way overdone. I like to hear some of the 'environment' the video was shot in. A good example is the AirVenture 2009 video where music was added but some of the original audio was kept and mixed in.

I feel the best setup would be audio out of the cockpit intercom into the camera, so that you could narrate & also listen to radio calls, then add the music on other tracks. A lot of the usefulness in the videos is to see other's techniques (such as slowing the plane down) & it would be nice to have a narrated version.

bc

A 'much-geekier' friend of mine started out using a Flip. First a standard, then an 'HD'. Now he is using a Sanyo....
I'm sure there are alternatives out there. I never owned a camcorder before and truth be told I wasn't even in the market for one. I first saw the 'Flip' on an episode of "Army Wives" a few weeks ago. The husband demonstrated to his wife how easy it was to use by simply plugging its built-in spring loaded USB receptacle into her laptop and immediately started watching a family video. Frankly, I was amazed. Sure enough, it works as advertised. In addition, when you first plug the 'Flip' into the computer, it automatically downloads all the editing and other software...no additional CD to load....really nothing for you do but sit there and watch. So simple and intuitive is the 'Flip' is there is not much in the way of instructions. Stuff it in your pant pocket and go. When they decided to market an inexpensive dirt simple user-friendly camcorder for unsophisticated consumers, they must have had me in mind!

On board audio in flight

Good stuff!

I work professionally quite a bit with video and might suggest also looking at the standard non-HD Flip (now very cheap). I own several camcorders (HD & DV). The Flip is awesome.

HD is a little hard on bandwidth for most on-line services. Vimeo and a few others have a true HD streaming service for a fee. Most "HQ" ala YouTube is not HD, but mostly uncompressed mp4, mov, of flash (i.e. however you upload it).

New Flips (later 2009) will also supposedly have mic inputs [I have heard from friend who is manager at Best Buy].

Here's another professional trick if you have mic inputs: Take a pair of standard ear buds, plug them into your Mic Input jack and stick the ear buds inside each side of your headset.

Now you will get a good/inexpensive voice over capability with out the cabin noise (or as much). Been doing it this way for years.

Hope this is a help!

Last edited:
Flip video

Looked @ Flip but bought Sanyo @ Amazon for $190 ($230 with 16 gig SDHC card). Has 5 to 1 zoom, 720 HD video, up to 12 mp stills and many options including self timer, full exposure control (including manual) and many more. Not a pro level device but seems a great value. Thanks for suggesting this. Will try to post video from Pitts since my -8 won't fly for awhile. Bill