Tbone

Well Known Member
Currently laying out my toggle switches and was wondering if there was a standard spacing that was "industry standard", or whatever looks right? My thoughts were to tighten them up for space and upgrade room but then they look too crowded. Any ideas?

If you're looking at the standard toggle switches most of us use, I don't think the switch bodies (behind the panel) allow much less than a 1" spacing. Mine are all 1" spacing, and that works very well for usability without accidentally hitting an adjacent toggle when I don't want to.

Spacing

I researched the standard switch spacing (Googled it!) and found a military study and was found the best was 25mm, which equals to 63/64 so 1 inch is a "standard". I will make me a test panel with that spacing and see how it looks. I am using the stainless steel guard "loops" from SteinAir on some of the protected toggles and I'll see....;)

I believe I made mine 0.9" spacing. Worked out good.

Also, Some good advice I received was to group the switches by function. Engine, lights, systems etc. Try to limit a row of switches to five to they can be easily memorized by position. Leave a full switch space between groupings in case you absolutely have to add a switch in future.

351ekvd.jpg

Bevan

I spaced mine 1" and would do it again. One group with switchguards is on the left side together with the ELT controls, out of passengers normal reach. These are normally not used during flight. A second group is in the middle of the panel and these are used during flight - like lights and others.
All other things regularly used during flight are located somewhere in the center of my panel.