trib

Well Known Member
My 6A has almost a year on it now (first flight 12/12/09) and has had very few minor squawks. Total time is now 104 hrs. The start solenoid switch is an OFF-(ON) toggle switch with a flip up cover. I like this arrangement and have seen it in other aircraft, in contrast to the push button starter switch. The only issue is the switch is wearing out- when starting, you have to hold the switch at its extreme and then it takes a couple of moments before the starter actually begins to turn. The switch doesn't have the crisp action it once had. Does anyone know of an issue using a toggle switch for this purpose? Looking for some experience from the electrical gurus here! Otherwise, I'll just order a replacement and invest the 5 minutes it will take to "switch" out.

thanks for the help:)

It might or might not be the switch - it could also be the starter solenoid. You could use some wire jumpers (around the switch - think "hot wiring") to see if the problem is still there or not with the switch out of the loop.

Paul

If doing the above works,try replacing the toggle switch and then put a diode across the relay if you haven't already and use a toggle for DC not AC, the contacts will last longer.

thanks for the replys. I considered jumpering to check the solenoid, but there's no convienent place to do this and the switch seems to have lost its original "crisp" feel, leading me to feel this is the problem. Of course changing it out will show that. I used a toggle from ACS but will replace it with one that is DC rated.

fixed

Replaced the starter switch with another from ACS. Package states it is rated at 20A for 12V DC. Starter engages immediately with switch operation now. Thought I was going to get stranded in Roanoke (200 mi from CPK) a couple of weeks ago when the starter wouldn't operate until I held the switch for about 20 seconds and it finally decided to cooperate :eek:. Less than $8, shipping included. That won't happen often!