aviationgeek84

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Just curious about the differences between a canopy from Todd's versus the canopy shipped with the standard kit? I don't notice too much difference visually, but maybe I am missing something.

Looking at options for the RV-8..

Thanks!

So this would be a case of actually substituting the canopy from Van's with Todd's due to quality and better pricing, correct?

I'm not saying I would do this... it might be more hassle than it is worth, but I was just curious where the desire for a canopy from Todd's comes from. :) Newbie stuff, I guess.

Last edited:
I HAPPEN TO BE FITTING MINE NOW I WENT WITH THE TODD'S DELETED IT FROM MY FINISHING KIT AND WOULD DO IT AGAIN THE TODD'S IS THICKER AND YOU HAVE MORE TINT OPTIONS. IT ALSO APPEARS TO HAVE SLIGHTLY MORE SLOPE TO THE FRONT. YOU CAN SEE PICTURES OF IT ON MY KITLOG WEB SITE

Agree with Bartman!

Half the price, choice in tint, personal service, no problems x2. Call Todd, you will not regret it!

So this would be a case of actually substituting the canopy from Van's with Todd's due to quality and better pricing, correct?

I'm not saying I would do this... it might be more hassle than it is worth, but I was just curious where the desire for a canopy from Todd's comes from. :) Newbie stuff, I guess.

There isn't really any hassle to doing this. I just told Van's to leave off the canopy and they credited my order quite a bit more than what Todd charges for a thicker canopy. Also, I have heard that the Todd's canopy is less work in terms of cutting since it is closer to the right size than what Van's sends you. I can't confirm this since I haven't seen what Van's sends. Anyway, I also like the slight increase in thickness. It does add around 4lbs though.

As others have said, Todd is easy to work with. And, very responsive.

Do they "sweep down" more in the back than Van's canopies? Just curious if there was an issue there with taller pax.

If you go with Todd's which I did, you will need to modify the skirts as they wrap around the aft end of the canopy frame because the slope is a bit more shallow on the Todd's than the stock Van's. I was very happy with price, quality, packaging and shipping.

Ken

Wow, pretty sharp looking canopies, and the tint would come in handy (especially here in Texas). I noticed that he doesn't offer canopies for the 7 but he says he can make any size. Has anyone out there ordered a 7 canopy from Todd and if so, how is the fit?
Brandon

Wow, pretty sharp looking canopies, and the tint would come in handy (especially here in Texas). I noticed that he doesn't offer canopies for the 7 but he says he can make any size. Has anyone out there ordered a 7 canopy from Todd and if so, how is the fit?
Brandon

When I need to replace my -6 canopy, Todd said he could not make the SBS canopies because they require a mold. That was a few years ago.