rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
Well, I have been putting it off for years and second, third, and forth guessing myself on what to build.

I like the Kitfox and the chance of landing at some remote back strips and camping out. How much fun would that be? Then I started thinking - I don't go camping now - why would I do it with a plane? The Kitfox is still a great plane, just not what I want a plane for.

Then I tried to talk myself into forgetting all the craploa I need to go through to get a class 3, and building a RV 12. Again, a great plane and for me has several advantages over the 9. Cheaper to fly, auto gas, pop the wings off and store at home, and no class 3. But here in Colorado, the mountains are pretty close to the sky.

Then today, Dave from Vansairforce, living in Colorado flew into Rifle to show me his plane. It is beautiful and has the prettiest blue-green cowl and accents with a yellow background on the rest of the plane. The panel is painted the blue green color and looks very nice. We then went for a ride around the area and with my weight, Dave, and the survival gear he carries in the mountains, lets just say we weren't on the light side of the limits.

We started rolling and within what felt like about 500', the nose was off and we started climbing at about 1000+' fpm at about 120knots. I think Rifle airport is about 5500'. A Lear jet was coming in from off our nose, so Dave lowered the nose to about 800fpm and we were cruising about 150knots at 8500' to give the Lear plenty of room. At that point, I was convinced, the RV 9 had become a need rather than a want. Truthfully, when I first got in the plane, I was sold, the flight just drove it home.

I am finishing filling out the order forms and will be submitting my order for the empannage and probably the fuselage QB on Monday. finally.

I want to thank Dave for the flight and look forward to giving him a ride when I am done with my build. He has put 900hours in the past 6 years on his plane and it still looks new.

I am finishing filling out the order forms and will be submitting my order for the empannage and probably the fuselage QB on Monday. finally.

I want to thank Dave for the flight and look forward to giving him a ride when I am done with my build. He has put 900hours in the past 6 years on his plane and it still looks new.

Enjoyed the Kool Aid didnt you:D

IIRC, there is a finders fee if you make reference to Dave on your order.

Excellent decision. Welcome aboard the journey that could very well change your life. Get the order in and don't look back.

Enjoyed the Kool Aid didnt you:D

IIRC, there is a finders fee if you make reference to Dave on your order.

Really? Thats great. I will make sure Vans knows. The air was so crisp (about 15 degrees) and we had a great flight. A friend told me there is a guy in town here building a 10. I got his name and Im going to look him up and go see his project.

Say hello to Lowell for me.

Finders fee

I think it is so, just something I dredged up from the depths of my poor tired old mind.

I got it

I received $100 when Ken Knowles ordered his RV-6A after visiting with me to go over mine. He let them know about the experience because I said nothing about it.

Bob Axsom

Ditto, I had the same experience this past Saturday. Vlad RV-9A 230 Hours flew into Linden, New Jersey (LDJ) in his 9A. I've been thinking about it for years, but after the ride in his great plane I made up my mind. I'll be ordering the empennage kit very soon! Needless to say I was grinning from ear to ear. What a stable and fast plane it is. I'm a Cessna spam can flyer, I was shocked at how easy it handled. I can go on and on, what can I say but I was impressed. Thanks again to Vlad for giving me a great ride.
Joe

ordered today

I did make the order today. I don't know my builder number or expected date of arrival, but it looks like Im going to have to clean out my garage!

Van's will send you some paperwork in the mail, to sign-off on now that you've ordered a portion of the kit. The referral form and a note explaining how to submit it, is included in this first batch of paperwork you'll receive.

Van's will send you some paperwork in the mail, to sign-off on now that you've ordered a portion of the kit. The referral form and a note explaining how to submit it, is included in this first batch of paperwork you'll receive.

Thanks Gary. Anne from Vans sent me an email and told me how to submit a referral name and said the form will be coming.

I need to get a tool kit ordered now and looking for advise on that too. I have looked at the kits from all the advertisers and suggested by Vans. Looking at them and not even knowing what the tools do, it is hard to decide. Im looking at dimplers, spring back type, different types of rivet guns, d-burring tools, and a bunch of other things that I have no idea what they are. I have built and been the contractor on thousands of houses, offices, apartments, and even resorts, but I haven't done that much metal work. I have every wood tool you can imagine from a lathe to table saws and compressor. I guess it is probably easiest to just pick a kit and order it. The suppliers appear to be pretty sharp and update the kits to fit the RV build, so Im probably ok as is.

Now the fun begins!

welcome

Welcome to the party.. This is a long and winding road with many decisions to be made.. I too did not have the necessary tools to start. I actually got a lot of my starter tools from a gentleman on this site.

that got me started, but I have also relyed on Avery and Cleveland and Aircraft spruce for numerous purchases.

Welcome to this fabulous community and don't be afraid to ask questions, and also spend time searching this site for answers.. most of the questions I have had have already been answered at one point or another..

Also if you are ever in the Denver area, shoot me an email or PM me and you can come take a look at my build

Acro?

Not knocking the -9 at all, but are you absolutely SURE you will never feel the need to do some Acro???

Just sayin'

yep, sure of that!

Not knocking the -9 at all, but are you absolutely SURE you will never feel the need to do some Acro???

Just sayin'

Jerry,
Thanks for the thought, but I do not have any desire to do aerobatics of any kind. did that when I was young. Im fine with just a traveling machine. My wife isn't a fan of bumpy rides - I can't imagine her ever wanting to do a roll. She is very supportive of the build and having a plane - Im not going to rock the boat!