Louise Hose

Well Known Member
I purchased my RV-6 and I?ve always understood that I?m a somewhat lower human being who pales in shadow of the builder/pilot. That?s okay. The RV community is great and the only people who have allowed their sense of superiority to show have been some builders who come to events looking for advice and support. I figure their contempt comes mostly from jealousy that I?m flying while they?re pounding, so I forgive their indiscretions.

When I bought, I knew little about caring for my own plane beyond doing an oil change. For the last two years, I bought the refreshments for Larry, George, and other more experienced shade tree mechanics while they sat back and supervised my oil and tire changes, cable replacements, and alternator installations. (Thankfully, they also pitched in when the job exceeded my skills.) Slowly, I?ve been able to do more-and-more on my own.

In May, I ended up being the only RV flying into the highly publicized Texas RV Fly-in and made my claim for all the prizes that Mel Asberry had promised. Well, Mel gave me the Van?s Toolbox kit, as well as a Van?s ball cap. I was delighted. What a perfect project for someone with a flying RV and very little knowledge of the building experience!

I waited for a slow weekend at Paul?s place as he had the tools AND knew how to perform all the required skills. I didn?t time the project, but it probably took a total of about 4 hours and it came out nearly perfect! I greatly enjoyed the work and I was amazed with the ease (with the right tools) of learning and performing the tasks. I honestly believe I had the world?s best mentor guiding me through the process.

photo

Lessons learned;
1. This project was a great way to learn more about how my plane is constructed. I recommend it to other non-builder/owners.
2. I would enjoy building an RV someday.
3. Paul and I are completely compatible working on this sort of project, despite the disparity in our levels of experience and knowledge (and similarly strong egos). This kit seems like a great way for couples to test their ability and interest in undertaking a build project together!
4. I?m pretty sure there is an RV-10 or -3?.or both in our (distant) future.

Next Saturday: EAA?s SportAir Workshop on Electrical Systems. I?m getting ready to replace my aging panel soon.

Now, if only I was smart enough to figure out the convoluted procedure for posting photographs on this site!

Photo uploads

Try using this site----

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/

I find it pretty user friendly, and unlike "imageshack", no annoying pop up ads accompanying the images.

I resize to 640x480, and use the second option, "forum/message board, primary" in the lower block "links to original image".

Try playing around in the "test" forum.

Are you and/or Paul going to the Homecoming???

Hey Louise

You sound just like my Wife and I...perfectly matched...Good for you, both very similar in outlook but with complimentary skill sets and willing to learn from each other.

Been working perfectly for Marci and I for 7 amazing years.

All the best!

Frank

Uh--------

Louise Hose said:
Thanks, Mike. I'll try it.

You bet! We wouldn't miss an excuse to get back to New Mexico.

The homecoming is in Oregon, this weekend.

Opps!

Mike S said:
The homecoming is in Oregon, this weekend.

Sorry, thinking about LOE.

I would love to make homecoming some time, especially since my plane was built in the neighborhood. But, too far from both Virginia and Texas to make it this year, I fear. Some year....

frankh said:
You sound just like my Wife and I...perfectly matched...Good for you, both very similar in outlook but with complimentary skill sets and willing to learn from each other.

Been working perfectly for Marci and I for 7 amazing years.

All the best!

Frank
Ann & I have been working together for 30 WONDERFUL years this December. So far we've built 7 airplanes, rebuilt several, and working on #8 (scratch built bi-plane). Oh yeah, we also built a house and 2 hangars together.
Hang in there Paul & Louise.

I had fun Too!

It was a lot of fun pulling out the tools and giving Louise a (very) few tips. I got to spend the morning in the shop and didn't have to drill, debur, dimple, or cleco a single hole....hey, maybe I've found the key to building without doing any work....find a partner that wants to lean all that stuff! ;)

I though the toolbox kit was a great way to introduce someone to the building process - simple, easy to understand, and requires most of the common building steps. I'd highly recommend it to someone that wonders if they can build....but it helps to have a friend (or fiancee...) with all the tools, so that if they find it isn't for them, they aren't out anything but the kit. Maybe this is a good way to convince those folks sitting on the fence - have them buy the kit and volunteer your time and tools - a great way to be an ambassador - and earn that valuable referral commission! :D

Paul

Last edited:
Ironflight said:
I didn't have to drill, debur, dimple, or cleco a single hoe...
Paul

's a good thing you're not in new york city -- i understand this is one of the words the city council just outlawed. ;)