Don Jones

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to fab the aileron push rods and was interested if anyone had tig welded the aluminum tube? I have found lots of info on welding the 4130 tubes, just not any on the aluminum. If they are weldable (I have not checked). I have a TIG machine and have no problem doing it if it is acceptable, otherwise I will just rivet them.
Any info?

Never mind....

edit: I didn't read close enough...........because it's the shorter steel rods that I had welded. It's very easy to rivet the larger diameter aluminum rods.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
Weldable depends on alloy. Check the markings on the tube. If unsure, don't weld.

Common alloys, tig or gas:

1100, 3003, 5052, 6061, yes.

2024, no

Keep in mind you lose the existing heat treat. For example, 6061-T6 becomes 6061-0.

Dan,

You are right I'm sure, but just wanted to mention that (unless my memory fails me) the plans do explicitly state that welding is an acceptable option for the steel pushrods between the ailerons and the aileron bellcranks. I had mine welded just because I knew a guy who could do it.

Agree that the aluminum pushrods should all be riveted per plans.

cheers,
mcb

Last edited:
Dan,

You are right I'm sure, but just wanted to mention that (unless my memory fails me) the plans do explicitly state that welding is an acceptable option for the steel pushrods between the ailerons and the aileron bellcranks. I had mine welded just because I knew a guy who could do it.

Agree that the aluminum pushrods should all be riveted per plans.

Yes, somehow the aluminum part skipped my brain. It was the shorter steel rods that I had welded. I have ammended my reply.

cheers,
mcb

Yes, somehow the aluminum part skipped my brain. It was the shorter steel rods that I had welded. I have ammended my reply.