Interesting

Don't know present practice, but...I added this stiffener to my -6 back in 1993 to prevent "oil canning." I used the "j" stringer material. At the last annual condition inspection I discovered a small crack in the skin at the forward end of the stiffener. If you add this stiffener, be sure to tie it in to the bulkhead at each end. It was an easy fix, but had I done it originally, it would have prevented the crack.

Last edited:

I did it on my 8 slo build. Saw it a few years ag on the RV List I think. It helps reduce any "oil canning" in that area. I used angle, but I think the "J" stringer material used on the 6,7 and 9 would be better.

It's a lot easier to drill and dimple on the slo build. It can be done on the quick build.

To answer your question, no, the matched-hole fuselage kits do not come with this stiffener.

Not that you asked, but I don't think I'll add it. I may add a few click-bond type mounts down there to attach cables to though.

Guy

Mel said:
Don't know present practice, but...I added this stiffener to my -6 back in 1993 to prevent "oil canning." I used the "j" stringer material. At the last annual condition inspection I discovered a small crack in the skin at the forward end of the stiffener. If you add this stiffener, be sure to tie it in to the bulkhead at each end. QUOTE]

Vans sent me a couple extra 815C's (.032 angles) I might use. I figured it should be attached to the bulkheads at both ends but it doesn't look like the ones in the pic. I posted are.